• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

BF came and took my vehicle HELP!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cryix47

What is the name of your state? Maryland.

I have a wierd situation. Back on April 26th my bf and I went to a Honda Dealership to purchase a car because I did'nt have one. The finance manager said that he could only finance us if the application was only in my BFs name. That means I could'nt be on the application at all. So the title is all in his name and the registration is all in his name. I used $3k for a downpayment on the car. Now here's when it gets bad. When I got off work,and went into the parking lot to get into my car to go home,It was GONE! So I thought to myself what the hell is going on. I know the car wasnt towed because the spot I parked in was a normal spot. So I call the bf up and he said he took the car away and I asked why and he said that I went over to his friends house to screw around which was so not the case. I went over to his friends to talk to them about him because I was concerned about the way he has been acting. So now im without a car and $3k. My question is can I get my money back? I went to my bank and had a cashiers check made with my name on it only. Can I use this as evidence that I put money into the car? If this dose not work do you think I would be able to get the dealership finance manager or the salesperson to go to court with me to testify that I was part of the deal? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

BL

cryix47 said:
What is the name of your state? Maryland.

I have a wierd situation. Back on April 26th my bf and I went to a Honda Dealership to purchase a car because I did'nt have one. The finance manager said that he could only finance us if the application was only in my BFs name. That means I could'nt be on the application at all. So the title is all in his name and the registration is all in his name. I used $3k for a downpayment on the car. Now here's when it gets bad. When I got off work,and went into the parking lot to get into my car to go home,It was GONE! So I thought to myself what the hell is going on. I know the car wasnt towed because the spot I parked in was a normal spot. So I call the bf up and he said he took the car away and I asked why and he said that I went over to his friends house to screw around which was so not the case. I went over to his friends to talk to them about him because I was concerned about the way he has been acting. So now im without a car and $3k. My question is can I get my money back? I went to my bank and had a cashiers check made with my name on it only. Can I use this as evidence that I put money into the car? If this dose not work do you think I would be able to get the dealership finance manager or the salesperson to go to court with me to testify that I was part of the deal? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Get a copy of the cashiers' Check . Get the records of payments and sales pertaining to the sale of the vehicle . Ask small claims court for a request for subpoena if necessary , when you file a claim against the X BF .

He can not be unjustly enriched by your money .

JohninFL

Blonde Lebinese said:
Get a copy of the cashiers' Check . Get the records of payments and sales pertaining to the sale of the vehicle . Ask small claims court for a request for subpoena if necessary , when you file a claim against the X BF .

He can not be unjustly enriched by your money .
Could you give me your thoughts on my situation? My question was titled "Two name auto title in Florida". It's similar, as I paid for a vehicle, and the ex-gf took it, retitled and sold... Any advice would be appreciated....

cryix47

This is a Follow-up to the original post. I contacted my ex bf last night to try to get something worked out because I was without a car and my 3k was gone. He said that he didnt know what to do about the 3k because he sold the car back to the dealership and had to pay 6k different because it was a new 2005 Civic Si that was purchased on the 26th of April. I tried to reason with him in every way... I even begged that he would return the car so I could continue to make payments or the 3k that I put down on the car. I contacted him again today to see if he thought it over and figured out something. He told me that there was nothing he could do about my 3k. So I told him I would have to file a lawsuit to recoup my 3k. He said that I would loose because originally he had money wired from his account because my mother sold her car to Carmax and got 7k and wrote me a check for 3k but I couldnt cash it because the funds we not released. So now he is saying that I will loose if I go to court because it looks like he funded the downpayment for the car because of the wire. But when I had the Cashiers check made from my account my name was the only name on it. The check did not say To... Landmark Honda from John Doe & Marry Doe. It only had my name on it. And I also have the check that I wrote to him for 3k. He sent me a box that contained all of my belongings from the car when I had it. My mother stressed highly that I save the box as evidence which I did. What are my options??

BL

Well if you couldn't cash the transfered 3 K from the bank , the bank should have records of the denial and none issue of the funds .

Request from the Clerk the Procedures to request a subpoena of those records , to take to court with your other proof .

cryix47

Blond can you please explain? My mother sold her old car and got 7k for it and gave me 3k in the form of a check. This whole Carmax thing was done on 4/24. Whe she sold the car... Carmax gave her a check for 7k but they said it would not be available until 36 hours later. When I went to the dealership with my ex we could not take delivery of the car because we did not have 3k. The following day we went to my bank which is the same as my moms and tried to cash the check and the teller said that Chevy Chase Bank has a policy of 5 days before the funds are released. So I had no money for a downpayment to take delivery of the car so my ex wired money to my account. And then on that same day I wrote him a personal check for 3k. This wire transfer thing is what's bothering me... He says I will loose if I go to court because it looks like he funded the downpayment because of the wire,but... I had the cashiers check made in my name only from my bank account.So now I don't know what to think... I am 21 years old and he is 33 and I cant take a big loss like this. :( :( :(

BL

ok , I must have misunderstood .

So your mother's 3 k was good you just had to wait to use cash it ?

He did in fact transfer 3 k to your account which was also good ?

You used 3 k for the down payment , check was in your name ?

What happened to the 3 K your mother gave you ?

It could appear that he did in fact transfer 3 K to you to use for the down payment ...

I really don't know about titles and transfers for your State , as I posted before .

Someone with the Knowledge should come along and give you advice .

Bumping this up for you .

cryix47

Yes all of that is correct Blond... He transfered 3k into my account because the funds were not released into my mothers account until the following monday. We needed the funds that day because the night before we did all the papers for the car but could not take delivery because we did not have the downpayment in cash or a cashiers check. So now he has the car and the 3k I put down on it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">