• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bill owed to ex-roommate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Bubbles143

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

I moved in with 2 other friends on December 23rd, 2002 and moved out March 8th, 2003. On December 31st, I wrote out a check for $50 to pay for 1/3 of the electricity bill (not in my name). Mid January, I was asked for another $50...I paid. Mid Feb, same thing. Totaling $150 for 2 1/2 months. Once I moved out in March on my own, the roommate with her name on the bill demanded that I pay her a total of $353.00.....which are late charges, disconnection fees, etc. I do not feel responsible for paying these charges, as I was not aware of the "due dates". I feel that my "due dates" are the days she asked me for the $. I never saw an electricity bill, I just assumed she was telling the truth. I now have copies of the electricity bills. The bill for Januarys usage was $54.63, Feb was $65.19. Which does not equal 3 people each paying $50/month. The 1st $50 check I wrote was for the 11/17/02 - 12/11/02 bill, in which I was not living there at the time. I have copies of the checks that I had written. I refuse to pay any of these charges. She has threatened to take me to Small Claims Court.
She has been contacted by the Credit Bureau for serveral other bills (phone, cable, etc) from previous residences. I recently found out that she also owes individuals a large amount of money also. She is very unreliable and into drugs.
Will she have a good case if she pursues bringing me to Small Claims Court?
Thank you.

Last edited:

B

Bubbles143

Thank you. She is now stating that what we paid was a deposit for the hook-up. I know that I will not get this back once she moves out of there, as it states "In order to receive your deposit of $250 back, you must pay on time continuously for 12 months." She also says that "each time we did not pay the monthly bill in full, late charges were applied." I did not know this either. Does this change anything?

stephenk

no, she still doesnt have a good case. does she have any proof that late charges were applied AND that the late payments were your fault?

JETX

I agree with StephenK on this one.... based solely on the information in your post, she has no case....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">