• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Billing issue with a small independent company - worth a small claim court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I generally don't use credit cards, only used it to pay for the first part of the course, paid it off and then didn't think much of it afterwards.

Thanks for all your help, if anyone else has any other angles of advice on this I would be really grateful. Thank you.
In 8 weeks, on a card that is paid in full with a zero balance, you didn't notice the $260 balance for TWO statement periods? You failed to pay the $260, incurring late fees?

Leea3350

In 8 weeks, on a card that is paid in full with a zero balance, you didn't notice the $260 balance for TWO statement periods? You failed to pay the $260, incurring late fees?
If anyone else has some advice i'd be grateful, thanks.

Leea3350

You don't see how my posts are pointing out the weaknesses in your case?
I just had a look at the comments your making in other threads today, obviously your looking for someone to take the bait. Im just looking for some advice, you have given me your thoughts and thank you so much for them, now If anyone else has any ideas I would welcome them, thanks again.

Last edited:

Zigner

Sue the bad person in small claims court (where they are located.) If you lose, you're only out the filing and associated costs. If you win, then you only need to collect.

LdiJ

You don't see how my posts are pointing out the weaknesses in your case?
While your pointing out the weaknesses is valid, this kind of predatory "renewal" is not uncommon and can be very problematic.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington DC (Although the company in question is in Maryland)

... The other problem is that I live in DC and the company is Maryland based, can I use DC small claims court? ...
The classes were offered in what location - in DC where you live or in Maryland where the company is based or somewhere else entirely?

Was the "small print on the poster," that indicated there would be automatic enrollment for the next eight weeks of classes, repeated in any contract you signed (either on paper or electronically)? Was it announced in class that the classes would continue for an additional eight weeks unless you opted out?

Zigner

While your pointing out the weaknesses is valid, this kind of predatory "renewal" is not uncommon and can be very problematic.
That's true, but it is a hurdle the OP will need to overcome nonetheless.

Leea3350

That's true, but it is a hurdle the OP will need to overcome nonetheless.
When I left the class on my last night, I thanked the teacher for such a good course, asked him what to do with my materials that I didn't need anymore,he advised I could just leave them and donate them to the class, and then we said our goodbyes. Their were only me and 2 others in a class that could of held 20. They knew exactly what they were doing! That was his window to tell me that actually I have 8 weeks left!

With it being such a low attended class they would of noticed for sure that I wasn't showing up, its not like I was ignored in a large class of 50, there were only 3 of us.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">