• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Billing issue with a small independent company - worth a small claim court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Leea3350

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington DC (Although the company in question is in Maryland)

Hello, any advice very welcome.
A company I had used billed my credit card for services I didn't sign up for or ask for, it was only $260 but still its the principle that they can get away with it. Its a small independent company, Ive spoken with the owner and she will not refund my money. I don't know where to go from here, Is their a way of finding out if their are any other owners above her? if its owned by a larger company I can contact?
I tried everything, even tweeting the issue publicly which she then agreed to give me a partial refund, however she never followed up with this promise and I have had no money refunded, and now she will not communicate with me whatsoever.
I'm considering a small claims court, I am aware that the amount is small and I might not even get it back, however its the fact that this company has been immoral and I want an outcome even if its not monetary.
The other problem is that I live in DC and the company is Maryland based, can I use DC small claims court?
Thanks for any advice you have.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington DC (Although the company in question is in Maryland)

Hello, any advice very welcome.
A company I had used billed my credit card for services I didn't sign up for or ask for, it was only $260 but still its the principle that they can get away with it. Its a small independent company, Ive spoken with the owner and she will not refund my money. I don't know where to go from here, Is their a way of finding out if their are any other owners above her? if its owned by a larger company I can contact?
I tried everything, even tweeting the issue publicly which she then agreed to give me a partial refund, however she never followed up with this promise and I have had no money refunded, and now she will not communicate with me whatsoever.
I'm considering a small claims court, I am aware that the amount is small and I might not even get it back, however its the fact that this company has been immoral and I want an outcome even if its not monetary.
The other problem is that I live in DC and the company is Maryland based, can I use DC small claims court?
Thanks for any advice you have.
Why haven't you challenged it with your credit card company?

Leea3350

Why was it unsuccessful?
I cant't remember the exact wording, but it was basically a sentence or two stating how the payment wasn't fraud, as I initiated the first payment to the company, the second payment (the one that I didn't approve) wasn't classed as fraud and they said it wasn't for them, the credit company, to sort out.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I suspect that the vendor somehow showed that you DID sign up/ask for the services that they provided.

Leea3350

I suspect that the vendor somehow showed that you DID sign up/ask for the services that they provided.
But I didn't, and the vendor admitted to me verbally that I didn't and that she would give me a partial refund, If she was able to prove I signed up then I'm sure she wouldn't be agreeing to give me some money back, even if she didn't follow through.

Zigner

But I didn't, and the vendor admitted to me verbally that I didn't and that she would give me a partial refund, If she was able to prove I signed up then I'm sure she wouldn't be agreeing to give me some money back, even if she didn't follow through.
There have been COUNTLESS times that I've offered partial refunds to customers in the name of customer service over the last 25+ years.

Leea3350

There have been COUNTLESS times that I've offered partial refunds to customers in the name of customer service over the last 25+ years.
But she didn't follow through with the partial refund, even though I accepted the offer.

Leea3350

I understand. That means she changed her mind.

What was the "service" in question?
It was an evening education class, that I took to help with my profession (high school teacher), self funded by me not my school. The owner automatically enrolled me in the next 8 week class, this apparently was on the small print on a poster at the location.

Zigner

It was an evening education class, that I took to help with my profession (high school teacher), self funded by me not my school. The owner automatically enrolled me in the next 8 week class, this apparently was on the small print on a poster at the location.
And now we're at the crux of the matter, aren't we?

Leea3350

And now we're at the crux of the matter, aren't we?
I was auto enrolled for a course, never had any confirmation by email/letter that I enrolled, didn't show up the the course for 8 weeks! obviously as i didn't know I was enrolled, and no one emailed/phoned to ask why I wasn't attending a course that cost nearly $300. Even if i knew I paid and had no chance of a refund I would of at least attended.

Zigner

I was auto enrolled for a course, never had any confirmation by email/letter that I enrolled, didn't show up the the course for 8 weeks! obviously as i didn't know I was enrolled, and no one emailed/phoned to ask why I wasn't attending a course that cost nearly $300. Even if i knew I paid and had no chance of a refund I would of at least attended.
In 8 weeks you didn't notice a $260 charge on your account?

Your "case" is shaky, at best.

Leea3350

In 8 weeks you didn't notice a $260 charge on your account?

Your "case" is shaky, at best.
I generally don't use credit cards, only used it to pay for the first part of the course, paid it off and then didn't think much of it afterwards.

Thanks for all your help, if anyone else has any other angles of advice on this I would be really grateful. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">