• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bit into rock in fruit from packaged trail mix product

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

graphicdesign

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Not exactly sure what this is, its red and has bone/rock texture and it was inside a piece of dried fruit. what do i do ?
get it tested ? (if so what business am i looking for ?)
contact manufacturer ?

Thanks for any advice

>Charlotte<

Lurker
It's probably a fruit pit. That's to be expected in the occasional bag of dried fruit.

No need to get it tested or contact the manufacturer. Just throw it away and enjoy the rest of your trail mix.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Not exactly sure what this is, its red and has bone/rock texture and it was inside a piece of dried fruit. what do i do ?
get it tested ? (if so what business am i looking for ?)
contact manufacturer ?

Thanks for any advice
It's most likely a piece of pit. Most packaged dried fruit has some kind of disclaimer stating that it may contain pits. And even if it doesn't, common sense tells you that machine pitted fruit isn't always perfect.

Unless you suffered some sort of significant and measurable injury from eating the fruit with the pit, then just finding it in there really isn't something that you could sue for. There aren't any damages that were suffered.

Sorry, but with your story, you do not get to win the lawsuit lottery. Come back and play again.

graphicdesign

Thanks for the advice.

The tone of your remarks have me curious...

Would you guys NOT send food back at a restaurant if you found jagged shards of pit or pieces of an insect in your food (simply because the Fda regulations allows such tolerances) ?

or would you say " waiter there's a fly in my soup" ?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks for the advice.

The tone of your remarks have me curious...

Would you guys NOT send food back at a restaurant if you found jagged shards of pit or pieces of an insect in your food (simply because the Fda regulations allows such tolerances) ?

or would you say " waiter there's a fly in my soup" ?
This is a LEGAL ADVICE board. Legally, you were given accurate information.

To expand a bit. Finding a pit (a naturally occurring object for the item in question) in fruit is MUCH MUCH different than finding an insect (a completely foreign object) in your soup.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
When I order a flounder fillet at a restaurant there are almost always one or two pieces of bone, despite it being called a "fillet". Bones are not a foreign object in fish. Fruit pits are not a foreign object in fruit. It is accepted that when we try to make Mother Nature conform to our own personal comforts, we're not always successful.

You are certainly within your rights to complain to the manufacturer. They may even send you a coupon for free trail mix. But don't get your hopes up for anything more than that.

graphicdesign

When I order a flounder fillet at a restaurant there are almost always one or two pieces of bone, despite it being called a "fillet". Bones are not a foreign object in fish. Fruit pits are not a foreign object in fruit. It is accepted that when we try to make Mother Nature conform to our own personal comforts, we're not always successful.

You are certainly within your rights to complain to the manufacturer. They may even send you a coupon for free trail mix. But don't get your hopes up for anything more than that.
Thanks for non troll type response:) (zinger:rolleyes:)

Ill call the manufacturer and see what they do.
i cook a lot my self.i understand there is more quality control when in a restaurant, but does that mean we should have lower standards for packaged products (even if they are high priced, and talk about superior quality)?

if i went to a restaurant that repeatedly could not prep their food right i would go elsewhere. but i usually just make it my self

HomeGuru

Thanks for non troll type response:) (zinger:rolleyes:)

Ill call the manufacturer and see what they do.
i cook a lot my self.i understand there is more quality control when in a restaurant, but does that mean we should have lower standards for packaged products (even if they are high priced, and talk about superior quality)?

if i went to a restaurant that repeatedly could not prep their food right i would go elsewhere. but i usually just make it my self
**A: take the bag back to the store and get a refund.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">