• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bizzare litigation situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

motownatl

Colorado

I have a very bizarre situation and I need some advice from any legal source, or anyone who has been through a similar situation.

My stepson was driving his girlfriend's mother's car and got in an accident. He hit a parked car (!) while adjusting his sandle (double !) The car only had liability and thus far the insurance comapny has agreed to pay the damages on the car he hit but since it's liability the owner of the car (girlfriend's mother, who doesn't speak a lick of english, btw) has to pay for the damages to her vehicle out of pocket.

At first it was all good, as the main concern was getting the car that got hit fixed because the owner was already stating he might have to sue someone if his car didn't get fixed.

However when the mother and her boyfriend ( who's name was on the insurance, subsequently) found out me nor my wife had any money to give them (they really wanted us to foot the entire bill as there employment is... shady), the tone changed. First the mother berated her daughter on my front lawn, stated it was her responsibility, and she wants her teenage unemployed daughter to get 1700 dollars in three days. That was 2 days ago.

Then as I'm working tonight late because I have two jobs just to make end's meet, my wife tells me over the phone that the boyfriend is going to sue us! Evidently he sees I have a house and two nice cars and nice things me and my wife worked our tails off for, and he assumes I'm rich.

The only question I have is does he have a leg to stand on? Do I have a leg to stand on? No one asked for our permission to allow our son to drive her car. As a matter of fact we told our son numerous times we do not approve of him driving other people's car. But guess how seriously the teenager took our advice. We don't even let him drive our car or have him on our insurance.

What do I do, besides consult a lawyer and my insurance company, which I am doing tomorrow.

Last edited:

Proserpina

Colorado

I have a very bizarre situation and I need some advice from any legal source, or anyone who has been through a similar situation.

My stepson was driving his girlfriend's mother's car and got in an accident. He hit a parked car (!) while adjusting his sandle (double !) The car only had liability and thus far the insurance comapny has agreed to pay the damages on the car he hit but since it's liability the owner of the car (girlfriend's mother, who doesn't speak a lick of english, btw) has to pay for the damages to her vehicle out of pocket.

At first it was all good, as the main concern was getting the car that got hit fixed because the owner was already stating he might have to sue someone if his car didn't get fixed.

However when the mother and her boyfriend ( who's name was on the insurance, subsequently) found out me nor my wife had any money to give them (they really wanted us to foot the entire bill as there employment is... shady), the tone changed. First the mother berated her daughter on my front lawn, stated it was her responsibility, and she wants her teenage unemployed daughter to get 1700 dollars in three days. That was 2 days ago.

Then as I'm working tonight late because I have two jobs just to make end's meet, my wife tells me over the phone that the boyfriend is going to sue us! Evidently he sees I have a house and two nice cars and nice things me and my wife worked our tails off for, and he assumes I'm rich.

The only question I have is does he have a leg to stand on? Do I have a leg to stand on? No one asked for our permission to allow our son to drive her car. As a matter of fact we told our son numerous times we do not approve of him driving other people's car. But guess how seriously the teenager took our advice. We don't even let him drive our car or have him on our insurance.

What do I do, besides consult a lawyer and my insurance company, which I am doing tomorrow.

You could always get your teenage stepson to pay for the damages.

Since he caused it, and all.

motownatl

You could always get your teenage stepson to pay for the damages.

Since he caused it, and all.
I totally agree. I should have added that he was living in California at the time and was back for a week for vacation. Because of the ticket he got he's staying here now. He is one month from 18 and graduated last May so this happened on a visit. He is currently looking for the job and has more than stepped up and agreed he should pay for it. But the mother wants the money NOW! not when he saves it up but now. We have offered as many solutions as are possible here and now, but she wants an immediate result.

Sorry should have been more clear about that.

We proposed she junk the car for some money initially, my stepson would save up money and take whatever he earns as soon as he gets a job and give her every penny till she has another car. Nothing we can give as a solution is acceptable other than give her money no one has right now!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">