• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The boat doesn't work !!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mamadi

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I was looking on Ebay for a small used boat to use this summer. I found one that happen to be in my area. I went to the sellers home to look at it before bidding. It looked good and seemed to have been taken care of. He started it up for me for just a few seconds. He said he couldn't keep it running without water going through the motor.

Anyway, he ended the auction on Ebay and I paid him cash for the boat. The Ebay AD stated "runs great"......

We take it out in the water for the first time on July 4th and we can't get it to start for anything. I bring it home and start working on it trying to figure out the problem. For a straight week now I have been working on it, purchasing new parts, etc. I've aleady spent another $250 trying to fix it. The seller has been over here with me also trying to help get it started. I finally took it to the Marina today. They told me the problem was that the last person that had it in the water for a long time overheated it causing it damage. It would be another $400 to fix it !!!

The seller has offered to pay half to fix it but I feel as if I shouldn't be putting any more money into this boat. I assumed it "ran great" because that what I was told by the seller.

I've asked for a refund but he said he didn't want to buy it back. What route should I take in order to get a refund ? Or can I even get a refund ? I can't put any more money into this boat.

Tim

xylene

mamadi said:
What route should I take in order to get a refund ?
Take the route to Palookaville.

Or can I even get a refund ?
No.

I can't put any more money into this boat.
Wise words on boating: "The art of getting wet, and getting nowhere, at a great expense"

It sucks your boat is costing you more than you wanted.

The Ebay seller is not obligated to pay you anything. If they are still offering you the 200 dollars take it.

You have learned the hard way that an Ebay listing description is not a warranty of any kind.

You have also learned the somewhat more intuitive lesson to only buy a boat running in the water. :)

averad

And the mechanic you took it to before spending your money said what?

Don't boats usually have a adapter you can buy to run the motor on land with a hose?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">