• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boat Mechanic.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sqhurt

Hello ladies and gentleman! My name is Tim and I'm from Ohio. Have little problem with a boat mechanic I toke my boat to this past week. I'll try and give as much details as I can at the moment.

First call to them and first question I had was if they worked on Omc cobra outdrives. The gentleman on other end told me why yes we do. So proceeded to tell him what is going on and what I need done, also ask if they have the Tools to do the job (omc requires specific tools for cable alignment seeing can only be of + - 1/32 of inch. And the guy told me they did. Last question was if they was busy and could get me in right away, Guy told me they was free. Told him I had to pick up part at 8 in the am the following morning and then would be there.

Next day get my part, then head to his shop. I get there and the young man told me there going to try and fit me in. And thought to myself guy told me they didn't have anything going on. Ok, so drop boat off. I get a call half hour later they found the problem. Had to drive hour and half one way to get them the part that same day. Later the same day they need another item which made another hour and half trip one way the following morning, and had them the part by 10 am. I wanted to stay and wait to save gas but said they wouldn't get to my boat till later that evening. So went home and got call around 430 in afternoon. Boat was done but some switches wasn't working now. (these switches worked before as i tested them) As I'm there paying for the services this guy was telling me yeah we don't work on whole lot of my outdrives and don't have the special tools for them. (Mind you I did order the special tools off ebay and gave em to them when I dropped my boat off along with the printed out directions from the manufacture). He said he did use mine though.

Got boat home and started to look around and tested the switches, they tested out fine. A friend of a neighbor came by and has same outdrive on his and was looking and seen cables was not adjusted properly as the cable end was 7 3/8 and is supposed to be 7 9/16 and can only be +- 1/32 of inch. Also lever was not centering itself in this v notch. I called them that same night and left message as it was past hours. Following day I called and talked to the guy about it on speaker phone. Said the adjustment must have moved and admitted to me that he filled my outdrive the wrong way, which will cause an air bubble and destroy my gears. I told him I wanted my money back as to im going to have to take it to another mechanic and have him go over all they did to fix. He then told me to come and get my money, half way there he called and said he wanted to see the boat I said fine, Ill get it. Turn around and one way to get my boat I called and asked if he knew the number to local sheriff , I wanted another witness just incase along to make me feel better cause things got little heated as you could imagine. He laughed and said didn't need a sheriff and they just want to try and adjust my cables and fix it. Once heard that told him there not touching my boat let alone working on it again.

My plans for memorial weekend was shot as we had plans for the lake. which never happened cause of this. Was wondering what I could do? I got number for this other guy who does work on my type of outdrive threw my neighbor friend. Could I take my boat to that guy and just have him write whats wrong with the boat as to whats not correct that this other shop got me on? Or am I supposed to take it back to the shop that messed it up? They got me for almost 400 and it would of been worth it if was working but its not!

Thanks in advance

swalsh411

You need to give them a chance to fix it. If you sue that's the first thing the Judge will ask.

You went entirely off the deep end threatening to involve the police over a minor boat engine repair.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">