• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boat Nightmare

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Montecristo

What is the name of your state?
Ontario, Canada
Ok here goes.
In the fall of 2002 it all started. We bought a boat at an auction and it was the second most stupid thing that we have ever done. The boat had been for sale at a marina and I looked at it there but they were asking too much. When it went to the auction it was 3,000 less so we bought it. Well, it is the boat from hell. We brought it to a marina for storage in the fall and in the spring when we went to pick it up, it was not ready. We made the mistake of telling the owner of the marina that we were inexperienced boat owners and he has been getting a lot of mileage out of that. I think that he is trying to get rich off of us. The first summer we did not get to use it until the Labour Day weekend because every time we went to pick it up we would drive it away and there would be something else wrong with it so we would have to bring it back. They replaced almost every part and it still didn't work. So far we have spent 5,000 on it and we have only got to use it a few times. The last time we drove it(right after taking it home from the marina) water started pumping through the engine and out the carburator, which means the motor is toast. We feel that they screwed up the motor and that it is their fault that the engine is now toast. Then they had the nerve to send us a bill for $1,600. They gave us an estimate of only $800. The first summer they installed a new starter and then the next summer they charged us for a rebuild on that starter.This just goes to show you their dishonesty, or maybe it's just stupidity. They couldn't remember that they had already installed a new starter. We never even used the darn boat so how come it needed a rebuild on a brand new starter. We think that the mechanics were incompetent. It is a Volvo Penta motor and outdrive which requires some expertise which apparently they didn't have. We now have it at another marina and they are going to look for a used motor for us which will be another $3,000. I wish that the first marina would have suggested that, but, no, they were taking us for a ride. We have filed a small claims action and the marina has hired a lawyer from Toronto which is not anywhere near where the marina is. Must want a big city lawyer. They want us to pay the last invoice of $1,600 which we were quoted $800. We do not want to pay this as we feel that we have been taken advantage of. We have already paid $5,000 to them and now the motor needs to be replaced. We certainly do not feel that we should pay the $1,600. We would also like to get some money back for them messing up the motor. Do you think that we might stand a chance of recouping any money?
Oh yes another thing. We got something from their lawyer today and they want us to pay the $1600 and also interest from the date of the invoice. The invoice is dated May, 2004 but we did not receive this invoice until August, 2004. The boat wasn't even ready until August 2004 so how could they have the nerve to date the invoice May, 2004. They were working on it in July but yet they date the invoice for that work for May, 2004. Doesn't make sense. I have heard many bad things about this marina, unfortunately not until it was too late though. I think that the boat had a lot of problems but had we brought it somewhere more knowledgeable in Volvo motors or more honest we probably would have got a new motor right from the start and saved ourselves a lot of money and stress.
Ok now I'm finished.
Thank you.

JETX

Speaking from experience, the two most exciting days in boat ownership are the day you get it.... and the day you sell it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">