• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boat Sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aecbecky

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Oklahoma

We sold a boat last May to a man who seemed likeable enough, 4 weeks later he called us an said that we sold him a "lemon" with a bad engine. We explained that we had just put $2000 worth of work into the boat the summer before and had all of the paper work to prove it if he wanted copies. He has since sued us for the repairs and was awarded $3200 in damages today in court, supposedly 1/2 of the cost of the repairs. I feel like there is still something wrong here, I know that it does not cost over $5500 to replace a 4 cylinder inboard motor. I would like to know if there is any course of action I can take at this point or am I just stuck paying this jerk back more than 1/2 of what he paid me for the boat in the first place.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Oklahoma

We sold a boat last May to a man who seemed likeable enough, 4 weeks later he called us an said that we sold him a "lemon" with a bad engine. We explained that we had just put $2000 worth of work into the boat the summer before and had all of the paper work to prove it if he wanted copies. He has since sued us for the repairs and was awarded $3200 in damages today in court, supposedly 1/2 of the cost of the repairs. I feel like there is still something wrong here, I know that it does not cost over $5500 to replace a 4 cylinder inboard motor. I would like to know if there is any course of action I can take at this point or am I just stuck paying this jerk back more than 1/2 of what he paid me for the boat in the first place.
You can file an appeal within 30 days after the judgment is entered. Detailed instructions for filing a small claims appeal are available from the clerk of the court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">