• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bogos lawsuit help with appeals

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RobnBob

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

My neighbor has taken me to court on a bogus lawsuit claiming that my English Bulldog viciously attacked his toy chihuahua and he wants me to pay the bill. This is what actually occurred.

My husband had gone outside without realizing that the dog had pushed her way out the door behind him and therefor he wasn't able to put her on the chain out front. Our dog sees the neighbor across the street walking his two dogs and walks calmly across the street to play (even the owner of the dog admits this) My husband realizes she is out as soon as she walks across the street and he crosses to get her. She was out of our immediate control for about 30 seconds. He picks her up and brings her home. The neighbor is then claiming that she viciously attacked his dog twice resulting in injury. He then returns with a bill of 123.00 wanting us to pay. I go over there to talk to him and find out whatever injuries his dogs have. He tells me (as I am watching his hyper crappy dog running all over the house yipping apparently not injured at all less than 18 hours after the fact) that the eye was punctured, the shoulder was bruised and the hip was dislocated. The bill he shows me is not itemized, there is no list of vet services other than 85.00 just to see the vet. He then claims that the hip was "popped" back in place but no x-rays were done, no sling, no limp and no pain medication for the dog. Right off the bat I knew he was lying so we denied paying for the vet bill (later in a letter). He just took us to court and the judge ruled in his favor although he had no pictures or proof of injury whatsoever and was lying and committing perjury. He also claimed to have two statements from other neighbors (only one was present and I have never seen him in the 17 years of living there) claiming that my dog is routinely off the lead and constantly chasing and attacking people all over the neighborhood for months, and yet not a single complaint to the authorities that there is a vicious dog or an attacking dog.

Basically I have to choose now whether or not to give in a pay this guy 123.00 plus 38.00 court or to appeal. I am leaning towards appeal for a number of reasons, 1 being the principle 2 to prevent this guy from thinking that he can simply sue everyone for no reason 3 to prevent any legal documents claiming that my dog is vicious than he can then use against us in further situations and 4 to hopefully get him charged with perjury for the blatant lying about the alleged injuries that he has no proof occurred. He has no pictures, no itemized vet bill, no explanation by the vet what injuries were treated, and no record of a rabies vaccine given to his pet that is required in maryland no matter the updates shot records of both animals.

Any ideas, opinions and advise?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

My neighbor has taken me to court on a bogus lawsuit claiming that my English Bulldog viciously attacked his toy chihuahua and he wants me to pay the bill. This is what actually occurred.

My husband had gone outside without realizing that the dog had pushed her way out the door behind him and therefor he wasn't able to put her on the chain out front. Our dog sees the neighbor across the street walking his two dogs and walks calmly across the street to play (even the owner of the dog admits this) My husband realizes she is out as soon as she walks across the street and he crosses to get her. She was out of our immediate control for about 30 seconds. He picks her up and brings her home. The neighbor is then claiming that she viciously attacked his dog twice resulting in injury. He then returns with a bill of 123.00 wanting us to pay. I go over there to talk to him and find out whatever injuries his dogs have. He tells me (as I am watching his hyper crappy dog running all over the house yipping apparently not injured at all less than 18 hours after the fact) that the eye was punctured, the shoulder was bruised and the hip was dislocated. The bill he shows me is not itemized, there is no list of vet services other than 85.00 just to see the vet. He then claims that the hip was "popped" back in place but no x-rays were done, no sling, no limp and no pain medication for the dog. Right off the bat I knew he was lying so we denied paying for the vet bill (later in a letter). He just took us to court and the judge ruled in his favor although he had no pictures or proof of injury whatsoever and was lying and committing perjury. He also claimed to have two statements from other neighbors (only one was present and I have never seen him in the 17 years of living there) claiming that my dog is routinely off the lead and constantly chasing and attacking people all over the neighborhood for months, and yet not a single complaint to the authorities that there is a vicious dog or an attacking dog.

Basically I have to choose now whether or not to give in a pay this guy 123.00 plus 38.00 court or to appeal. I am leaning towards appeal for a number of reasons, 1 being the principle 2 to prevent this guy from thinking that he can simply sue everyone for no reason 3 to prevent any legal documents claiming that my dog is vicious than he can then use against us in further situations and 4 to hopefully get him charged with perjury for the blatant lying about the alleged injuries that he has no proof occurred. He has no pictures, no itemized vet bill, no explanation by the vet what injuries were treated, and no record of a rabies vaccine given to his pet that is required in maryland no matter the updates shot records of both animals.

Pay the guy. :cool:

mmmagique

Your dog was out of your (husband's) control. The other dog was injured as a result. You have to pay.
I understand your frustration as the off-leash wasn't intentional, but it happened, none the less.

Animals are considered property, nothing more. Therefore your losses to the other party are limited to the value of their chihuahua. If they spent $2,000 in vet bills to save the life of their $200 dog that's their problem. Be sure to come to court armed with ads for toy chihuahua's and what they're worth. This is your best chance of limiting your damages.

justalayman

Animals are considered property, nothing more. Therefore your losses to the other party are limited to the value of their chihuahua. If they spent $2,000 in vet bills to save the life of their $200 dog that's their problem. Be sure to come to court armed with ads for toy chihuahua's and what they're worth. This is your best chance of limiting your damages.
PUT DOWN THE BOX. You have had to much wine.

they already lost and the judgment is for ONLY $123.

Ozark_Sophist

Instead of a big mouth, you need wide eyes. OP lost in court. OP wanted advice on appeal.

OP should pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">