• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bogus Doctor Bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tprincessr

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I was seeing a Chiropractor for a back injury and having regular adjustments and massages. I cancelled my last appointment, and apparently the receptionist didn't cancel it, so they sent me the bill for $65. I had insurance since it was a car accident, so thought nothing of the bill, and threw it away. Well the other day, I get a summons for small claims court for the money. I called the office, and was told since I didn't call them early enough explain why the bill wasn't paid, it was MY responsibility, and therefore either have to pay it, or go to court and they will charge me even more money for court costs. Is their claim reasonable and I should pay it, or go to court?

racer72

Pay the bill, you will lose and it will cost you a lot more. Doctors are allowed by law to charge patients for missed appointments. Oh, and its a real bill, not a bogus one.

BL

Ask your Drs Office for verification of How many missed appointments without canceling within a year are you allowed , if any ? then if your at fault pay it.

Mine Just sent a Letter , but My primary said 3 a Yr. allowed before Charge .

vtbeard

tprincessr said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

I was seeing a Chiropractor for a back injury and having regular adjustments and massages. I cancelled my last appointment, and apparently the receptionist didn't cancel it, so they sent me the bill for $65. I had insurance since it was a car accident, so thought nothing of the bill, and threw it away. Well the other day, I get a summons for small claims court for the money. I called the office, and was told since I didn't call them early enough explain why the bill wasn't paid, it was MY responsibility, and therefore either have to pay it, or go to court and they will charge me even more money for court costs. Is their claim reasonable and I should pay it, or go to court?

Why didn't your insurance pay for it?

tprincessr

Explanation

Maybe I didn't explain the situation correctly. I never HAD an appointment, as I had cancelled it, but the doctor's office has a lot of teenage girls running the desk, and apparently whoever I talked to didn't cancel my appointment on the books. This has happened before when I had an appointment, went to it, and was told an appointment was never made. Since I had the appointment card with me, they took me anyway. What I'm asking is am I legally responsible for a bill for which I never had an appointment for, just because I never called them to argue about the bill? The manager said I waited too long to dispute it, so am obligated to pay for the service never recieved. My insurance wasn't obligated to pay for it since I never had the massage.

BL

Your first mistake was throwing away the bill , without disputing it .

How long are we talking about , between the time of the Appoint. and the Bill , and the letter to pay it ? Weeks , months , year or more ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">