• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Borrowed diamonds worth a small claims filing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KDJ911

California

A friend of mine got married last week, and I was in the wedding. I loaned her my diamond earrings that I bought several years ago. I told her to make sure I didn't forget to get them back. I paid nearly $4,000.00 for them. Well, naturally after wine and champagne at the reception I forgot to ask for them back. Since they were not going on a honeymoon I called her and her husband both several times asking if I could come by and get them before I left town since I live 4 hours away. They never replied and I have sent several voice mails, text messages, Facebook messages, and e-mails inquiring on how to get my earrings back. It's been a few days and I have confirmed via my cell phone that she received my voice messages a d she has yet to reply. I am shocked that she would rip me off like this and wondering if I have any chance in small claims court to be reimbursed for my loss. I have my certificate showing the value of the diamonds as well as copies of all my attempts to contact her. Am I wasting my time filing a small claims suit against her if she continues to ignore me?

sandyclaus

California

A friend of mine got married last week, and I was in the wedding. I loaned her my diamond earrings that I bought several years ago. I told her to make sure I didn't forget to get them back. I paid nearly $4,000.00 for them. Well, naturally after wine and champagne at the reception I forgot to ask for them back. Since they were not going on a honeymoon I called her and her husband both several times asking if I could come by and get them before I left town since I live 4 hours away. They never replied and I have sent several voice mails, text messages, Facebook messages, and e-mails inquiring on how to get my earrings back. It's been a few days and I have confirmed via my cell phone that she received my voice messages a d she has yet to reply. I am shocked that she would rip me off like this and wondering if I have any chance in small claims court to be reimbursed for my loss. I have my certificate showing the value of the diamonds as well as copies of all my attempts to contact her. Am I wasting my time filing a small claims suit against her if she continues to ignore me?
Wow, just wow. A whole few days after the wedding, and you are already freaking out. How much do you trust this person? Do you honestly think that she would rip you off like this? Maybe she is just a bit too busy to respond, orr perhaps they are a bit annoyed at all of these phone calls, text messages, emails, and Facebook messages they are being bombarded with only days after the wedding.

Sure, you could sue her if you want. Frankly, I think that you are being a bit impatient. Isn't it possible that they are a bit busy right about now, after just having gotten married? I would suggest writing her a letter and making a formal request to get them back. Then, if that is ignored, maybe you can think about suing.

jiggy78

You're pestering newlyweds days after their wedding. If not having your earrings for a few days really gets you all hot and bothered then you shouldn't loan them out.

CSO286

California

Few days? Meaning the wedding was this weekend? Give your friend a week or so....

Right after I got married (one month ago), we had three days before we left for our honeymoon. Those three days were a whirlwind of our wedding night, opening gifts and cards and saying farewell to out of town relatives. Then I logged in to FB to post a goodbye, read a couple of messages (which I DID NOT REPLY TO), and turned off our cell phones.

I'm fairly certain that your friend has safely tucked away those earrings and will return them to you at the first available opportunity.

The day after the wedding-:eek:-not the first available opportunity.

I'm also fairly certain that she's not thinking so kindly of you right now. Our family and friends knew better than to call us the day after the wedding.

:rolleyes::cool:

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">