• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Borrowed property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JoyceLynn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ga. My cousin and her husband borrowed my property, they did not return it when they were done using it, then it was stollen from their yard. They say their homeowners insurance won't cover it because it was not attached to the house. They refuse to replace my property or even towards paying half of what it will cost to replace my property. Do I go after my family member or do I try to go after their homeowners insurance?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ga. My cousin and her husband borrowed my property, they did not return it when they were done using it, then it was stollen from their yard. They say their homeowners insurance won't cover it because it was not attached to the house. They refuse to replace my property or even towards paying half of what it will cost to replace my property. Do I go after my family member or do I try to go after their homeowners insurance?
You would sue the person who wronged you by not returning what they borrowed. If applicable, their insurance would step in to defend them and/or pay any required amount due.

You don't sue the insurance company.

tranquility

I agree that you can't sue the insurance company under these facts.

Did you ask for your property back before it was stolen? What are the facts on how it was stolen? Did you get any benefit from lending the property to your cousin?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">