• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

botched exhaust job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I purchased a 400+ dollar exhaust kit and took it to a muffler shop that assured me that they could install and weld it in for 200 bucks. The kit is a precision fit kit and comes complete with directions. When I got my truck back it was installed so incorrectly that none of the factory hangers even matched up. I told the shop manager that I did not like the job; they told me that they could "fix" it by heating the metal with a torch and bending it, which bends the pipe and cuts off the ability for exhaust gasses to escape freely. I told them that their offer was unacceptable due to the fact that I bought a performance product and they ruined it. It is an improper installation and the shop is refusing to replace the kit. Do I have a shot if I take them to small claims? I bought a precision/performance product, they promised an accurate installation, and they ruined the kit..the dadgum tailpipe points back up towards the front of my truck for heavens sake...

justalayman

If it they used clamps, it can be unclamped and repositioned.

If it was welded, a sawzall and a welder will fix the problem.

Take it to another shop and get an estimate to repair the installation. Unless the system is totally unusable (unrepairable) you would not be due the cost of the parts or installation. You would be due only what it takes to correct the problem.

CraigFL

The real problem here is if it is under the truck and doesn't rattle, it may deemed to be OK. Anyone that has installed "precision fit" systems knows how difficult they can be-- so many bends, twists and distances that have to be just right for everything to align. Most shops don't have the patience to do this and just fit it the best they can and then hang it. Your idea of not fitting right and theirs may be completely different.

take it to another place to get done correctly...then take the first place to small claims for damages (the cost of the second place). You may find out you kit does not fit your car??? Then sue the first for all the costs (if they used reasonable care they would have discovered this fact). I would not let the first shop touch the car again...never never have the shop who mucked up a job fix their muck-up ...

This is absolutely false and bad advice. The shop HAS to have the opportunity to correct.[/QUOTE

The kit is a custom made kit that was designed to fit the factory hangers. There should have been minimal cutting involved. The muffler was designed to fit where the stock one did; the down pipe and tail pipe were designed to fit precisely where the stock ones did. They are offering to "fix" it, but they have already used the wrong kind of wire to weld and they do not have the appropriate tools to manipulate 4"pipe. They want to use a torch to heat the metal, use a hammer to beat it out, and then re-weld it. I have taken the truck to three different shops for second opinions and they all say that the truck needs a new kit because it will never fit in correctly no matter what they do at this point because they butchered the pipes at install... Every shop says...we have to have anew kit and start from scratch...there is no way to save it..except for the shop that jacked it up, of course. Buying a brand new kit four days ago and having it beat to hell and back now, adn after they "fix" it is unacceptable.

justalayman

You can always try small claims court. It's relatively cheap and generally fairly informal. Get your ducks in a row and file a claim and see where it goes. You need to bring at least notarized statements from the other shops. I would strongly suggest bringing at least one person in person as a witness though. SCC can accept affidavits but they are of limited support as the judge cannot question a piece of paper. Having a professional there that can answer the judges questions is irreplaceable. You have to prove your case. All the defendant has to do is defend your claims.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">