• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Botched laser surgery on cat

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scarah

What is the name of your state? Delaware

Let me start by saying that I tried every available training device and method on my cat to stop her from scratching furniture and occasionally, people. The choice to declaw was one that was weighed very carefully. We decided to get a laser declaw due to the research that said that there was much less pain and bleeding involved.

One paw on my cat turned out beautifully. There was no swelling and the incisions are healing nicely. The other paw looks completely different. Due to thermal tissue damage, from 10-40% of the pad is missing on the toes. Most of them should heal in time, but one is so bad that the bone is exposed. We will most likely have to get that toe removed in order for her to recover properly. She doesn't appear to be in much pain (she still walks normally), but we will need to get that paw fixed.

The vet that performed the procedure is trying to tell me that the cat did it to herself by digging in blankets that were in her cage at the vet hospital. However, I know that thermal damage doesn't always show up immediately and there is no way a 12 lb cat can rub off half of a healthy pad by digging in blankets. They are acting a bit nervous and as a result, I have taken her to another vet for care because I am too worried that they are more concerned with covering their error than giving her proper care at this point.

I know that in many states, animals are purely property and recovering damages can be difficult at best. I am wondering how much I can reasonably expect to recover (the first vet's bills and/or the new vet's bills). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">