• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bought Car with Lien!! No way OUT! NEED HELP!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AllYouCanTiff

I live in New York City. About 8 months ago, I bought a car from a woman in Brooklyn. It was a 1999 Accord Ex V6 with some minor damage, sold to me for 5000. The damage cost me 1000 to fix. When i bought the car, there was a lien on the title but she said it was only $2000 and she will use the money i gave her to pay it off then immediately mail me the lien release form. This is not the first time I have bought a car with a lien title and everytime before i had not had a problem. Well, after 2 months with me constantly trying to contacting her, she has completely ignored me. I cannot find her, now all i am left with is a title of a car with a lien on it and 6000 into this car i cannnot drive. Jumps to 6 months later (in Feb 05), she leaves me a voicemal that the last payment is paid off. When i called back, she does not answer. When i stop by her house, she does not open the door or shes not present. After waiting another 2 weeks for the title, I am starting to worry again. I had my friend who works at a dealership call Honda Finances and see exactly how much is left on the lien, only to find out that she has lied all this time and that there is still about 15k left on the car. The funny thing is, she is still paying off the car right now with monthly payments of 400 or so.

Now I dont know what to do. I am so lost... I am just a poor college student looking for a car to drive and this woman completely tricked me. Its been 8 months and I have mailed her letters, called her, stopped by her house and receive no response.

1. I cannot register the car, (thank god i knew this) i think if i do, the lien would be transfered to me.

2. I want to sue her but attorneys cost a lot of money and I cant afford this after dumping 6k into this car.

3. Even if i do sue her, what base do i have? Because there indeed was a bill of sale but it did not include the part where I have a lien on the title.

Thanks in advance guys, this woman is driving me crazy and I really need my money back.

-Tiffany

[email protected]

djohnson

Do you still have the bill of sale she signed?

Have you thought about putting a mechanics lein on the vehicle for the work you did? Then following through that process?

I

itsacatsworld

Get all the documentation together and its JUDGE JUDY!

AllYouCanTiff

I have the bill of sale but the bill of sale does not say anything about a lien on the title. Only her name and that she sold me the car for 5000 at a certain date and her address.

what is the mechanics lien?

Thanks a lot guys for your responses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">