• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bought a Defective Car - Third-party

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

raptorbalaji

CALIFORNIA.

I bought a car from a person who told me she had changed timing belt etc and showed me an invoice from a car mechanic shop for $900. I bough the car for $3800 by giving her a banker's check and she did gave a receipt. I took the car to my mechanic the next day for oil change and he told me none of the parts (or most of them) were changed or repaired as mentioned in the invoice she gave me. Now she's not answering the phone or replying to my emails.. What shall I do now?

THANKS a lot in advance!

BL

raptorbalaji said:
CALIFORNIA.

I bought a car from a person who told me she had changed timing belt etc and showed me an invoice from a car mechanic shop for $900. I bough the car for $3800 by giving her a banker's check and she did gave a receipt. I took the car to my mechanic the next day for oil change and he told me none of the parts (or most of them) were changed or repaired as mentioned in the invoice she gave me. Now she's not answering the phone or replying to my emails.. What shall I do now?

THANKS a lot in advance!
You drove it to get an oil change .
The Judge would state you could have/should have had in looked at by a mechanic before purchasing it .

" buyer beware " You have no case ...

JETX

Blonde Lebinese said:
You drove it to get an oil change .
The Judge would state you could have/should have had in looked at by a mechanic before purchasing it .

" buyer beware " You have no case ...
Actually, that is NOT true. If you based your decision to purchase on the 'presentation' by the seller that the timing chain had been changed (as evidenced by the receipt), you very likely have a claim of fraud against the seller. You will now have to prove that the timing chain was NOT changed. Assuming you have a copy of the receipt, contact the shop that did the claimed repairs. If they didn't make the repairs to that car, file a lawsuit.... and subpoena the shops records.

You Are Guilty

I know of no car currently made on which you can see the timing chain while adding oil. Was there other work supposedly done? If not, why did your mechanic remove the timing chain cover to change the oil??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">