• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bought House- Undisclosed Sewer Roots

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ajcfly

What is the name of your state? IN

I bought a house 3 months ago and the drain backed up between the house and the street this past weekend. Long story short there is a root in the sewer line that blocks all but a 2in diameter hole through the 6 in pipe (I saw it on their snake camera). Estimate between $3000-$6000 to repair the break depending on how much is replaced.

The previous owner signed a disclosure form that there was "No Defect" in the sewer line. However, I had a receipt in the stack of manuals and receipts she gave us at closing that said a drain cleaning company had been there 4/7/07 just before she signed the "No Defect" form on 4/19/07. When I talked to the company they said they advised her there were roots in the drain and only a small blade fit through. They also told her she should get a camera inspection which she declined.

The definition of "defect" on the form is "Defect means a condition that would have a significant adverse effect on the value of the property that would significantly impair the health or safety of future occupants of the property or that, if not repaired, removed, or replaced, would significantly shorten or adversely affect the expected normal life of the premises"

To me the expected life of the premises was >3months and the fact that the sewer is to 1/9 the original area (2 inch diameter blade fit through the 6 inch pipe) is a defect that would shorten the expected life.

Do I have any recourse against the seller? What are the steps involved? Can I do it myself or do I need a lawyer?

Thanks for any help,
AJC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">