• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bought a truck, had to sign a contract after for preivous owner to release it DURESS?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gbhernandez1117

North Carolina

My boyfriend purchased a vehicle private party, in response to a craigslist ad where the ad read that the seller was selling her truck for the payoff on her truck which was approx 14,000 dollars. She wanted to get rid of her truck because she could no longer afford the payment. On the 5th of October our bank transferred the money in the amount of $12,600 (approx) to her bank and her bank then released the title to our bank on the 7th. She then told me afterwards (while she continued to have possession of the truck) that she expected us to pay the $1400 dollar difference as the truck was 14,000. Keep in mind all monies and legal documentation had been exchanged from her bank to ours. My boyfriend is the only one on our loan. She refused to give us the truck unless we signed a notarized hand written agreement and gave her a check to hold for the difference. My boyfriend is active duty military and was gone out of state on a training assignment while all of this was happening. So i met with her and signed a paper that was notarized by her coworker. This was the only way she agreed to give us the truck that my boyfriend legally owned. My question is do I have to pay her seeing as how I feel like I signed this contract under duress, and I am not an owner of the truck, and the owner of the truck (my boyfriend) didn't sign anything with her, and we had no contract agreeing to the $14,000, as we were under the impression that she was only looking for payoff.

gbhernandez1117

Additionally Information

Upon rereading my ad I need to clear something up.

The reason my boyfriends bank only sent $12,600 was because that was the actual payoff on the vehicle. Not $14,000.

OHRoadwarrior

You agreed to pay $14000. Why do you think you are entitled to rip off the seller? She did pay off her truck, as she stated.

gbhernandez1117

We agreed to payoff her truck and that was each which she figured to be around $14,000. We did not agree to payoff her truck plus cash.

latigo

We agreed to payoff her truck and that was each which she figured to be around $14,000. We did not agree to payoff her truck plus cash.
(Maybe you could make up a little colored picture book so that OHR might "vaguely" understand?)

This isn't an easy call inasmuch as you were exceedingly careless in failing to fully document the transacton. It may be extortion and criminal conversion, and may not, depending on what hard evidence you have as to the agreed selling price and I suspect that you have none.

If I were you, I would get the bank that loaned the $12,600 and its attorneys involved.

OHRoadwarrior

(Maybe you could make up a little colored picture book so that OHR might "vaguely" understand?)

This isn't an easy call inasmuch as you were exceedingly careless in failing to fully document the transacton. It may be extortion and criminal conversion, and may not, depending on what hard evidence you have as to the agreed selling price and I suspect that you have none.

If I were you, I would get the bank that loaned the $12,600 and its attorneys involved.
It is nice that Latigo's clairvoyance is at work again. Perhaps he can show us he really does have a brain and can tell us the winning Powerball number for tomorrow night.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">