• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bounced Check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

what1

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I subleased my apartment to an acquaintaince (which I shouldn't have done, I know). Because he had already seen the complex, he didn't want to come check it out before-hand, and we never had a chance to put anything in writing saying that he was subleasing. However, my roommate was living in the apt the entire time he was, so we know he was definitely living there, and he owes her money as well.

He wrote me a check for part of the money ($250), and asked me not to cash it for a week. I waited 2 weeks, and when I cashed it, it bounced. I have tried calling him and emailing him, but he won't respond. I even went to his bank (bank of america), and he has no funds in that account. He still has my apt keys and now owes me a total of $400 + utilities, so I am scared that he may come back and hurt me. What can I do now?

--Frustrated

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">