• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bounced checks, bank fees...help!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

outlawfarm

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

I sell horses for a living. A lady inquired on one of my ads a while back and she really wanted the horse. She paid me in 2 separate checks (I usually NEVER take personal checks but I felt like we had developed a friendship...stupid me!). I cashed them both at the same time. They both bounced. My bank account is severely overdrawn due to the checks bouncing. Is she responsible for the nearly 1000 in fees that have been imposed upon me?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

I sell horses for a living. A lady inquired on one of my ads a while back and she really wanted the horse. She paid me in 2 separate checks (I usually NEVER take personal checks but I felt like we had developed a friendship...stupid me!). I cashed them both at the same time. They both bounced. My bank account is severely overdrawn due to the checks bouncing. Is she responsible for the nearly 1000 in fees that have been imposed upon me?
$1000 ~ you had to have bounced nearly 30 checks in order to accrue that much in fees???:eek:

You can sue her, but winning a lawsuit and collecting the money are horses of a different color.

outlawfarm

Debit card didn't help...

Well, my husband uses his debit card like cash and we get charged 35 for each of those transactions as well as each check. I am fit to be tied!

Antigone*

Well, my husband uses his debit card like cash and we get charged 35 for each of those transactions as well as each check. I am fit to be tied!
Again, you can try suing the lady in court. You even want to do a little research about bad check laws in your area.

Antigone*

How many of these transactions were there?!
That would be 28. It takes me as couple of weeks to put through 28 transactions and I use my card for everything, including my daily iced chai latte and I still don't rack up that many transactions in a week!!!

...and since I use the tools made available to me through online banking and the good old check register, I know where I am to the penny every moment of the day. I know...it is like preaching to the choir, but I do preach it.

JakeB

You can win for the charges for the checks, but not all those little transactions from the debit card since you (and your husband) were at fault for using the money from those checks before they had cleared. You should not have used the debit card unless you had enough money in the account to cover those charges independent of the checks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">