• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boyfriend/Girlfriend Debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tapper

What is the name of your state? California
My girlfriend and I were livin together. We shared one bank account. in the year 2000 I purchased a car with a loan I qualified for. The car had some expensive upkeep and repairs and we were forced to put the repairs on my credit cards. We were in love and planning our marriage. The money went in and went out of the same account. The car was both of our means of transportation. After five years of living together she decided to break up. We both agreed on how to split properties and the cash left in the account. There were three credit cards remaining. Two maxed out at $5000 dollars. and one with a balance of $2000. I agreed to take over one of the $5000 and the $2000 as well. She agreed to take over the remaining $5000.She has already changed the billing address of that card, to her new address. I have an e-mail of her asking me to change the billing address of that card to her address as evidence but felt there was no reason for a contract. Now she is going back on the agreement saying that she offered only to help me with the card as a favor. She feels the time we spent together paying the cards for auto repairs were sufficient enough. All the cards are in my name because she had no credit. majority of the charges on the cards were automobile. Do I have a case?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Yes. You have a case of "I've been screwed."

Do you really believe that any court is going to take its valuable time to unravel your boyfriend / girlfriend relationship to determine who owes what to whom and how much?

Courts have better things to do with their time. It's not going to happen.

IAAL

T

Tapper

well I figured it was similiar to a divorce case. so there is not a thing I can do even if I can prove she agreed to these terms originally.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Tapper said:
well I figured it was similiar to a divorce case. so there is not a thing I can do even if I can prove she agreed to these terms originally.

My response:

You weren't married. Therefore, you're not entitled to the same protections as married persons. So, it's not "similar" to a divorce.

Unless you have a signed and dated agreement from her in your hands, there is no court that's going to take the time to unravel a 5 year old relationship. Can you imagine how long it would take to determine what are gifts, debts, and just plain old crap that goes on in an unprotected relationship?

Next time you might want your money back, and it's not a gift, get it in writing.

Your e-mail, in this context, is meaningless and useless to a judge.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">