• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boyfriend wants GIFTS back? Washington State

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HAYRHOD

My exboyfriend of about 2 years is coming home soon from Iraq. Prior to his deployment, we had gone a trip to Mexico, trip to Canada, on his dollar. I was never asked to pay, I never suggested the trip in the first place, it was offered. Nothing is in writing (obviously, it's a gift). Also, before he left he wrote me a personal check to deposit to my bank account to pay for a year's lease on an apartment (of which BOTH our names are on). Now, 8 months after our break-up, he is asking for the money for the trips/lease/hotel stay and also some jewelery he gave me.

I need to know if I have the right to tell him no, I won't pay you, those were gifts. I also need to know who has the legal standing here, me or him. Someone please help, I don't want to be sued by this guy, but I also don't want to pay for gifts received almost a year ago!

[email protected]

panzertanker

HAYRHOD said:
My exboyfriend of about 2 years is coming home soon from Iraq. Prior to his deployment, we had gone a trip to Mexico, trip to Canada, on his dollar. I was never asked to pay, I never suggested the trip in the first place, it was offered. Nothing is in writing (obviously, it's a gift). Also, before he left he wrote me a personal check to deposit to my bank account to pay for a year's lease on an apartment (of which BOTH our names are on). Now, 8 months after our break-up, he is asking for the money for the trips/lease/hotel stay and also some jewelery he gave me.

I need to know if I have the right to tell him no, I won't pay you, those were gifts. I also need to know who has the legal standing here, me or him. Someone please help, I don't want to be sued by this guy, but I also don't want to pay for gifts received almost a year ago!

[email protected]
get your documentation in order (receipts from paying rent all year AND copy of lease) and sit tight. Don't bother talking to him anymore, let him try to sue if he wants to. The trips are out of the question, so the check for "rent" is the only issue. Hunker down and wait to see what he really does...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">