• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Branded Car Title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nmetts

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois.

I purchased a used '96 Nissan Sentra in Illinois over 2 years ago for $4,500 and it was recently totalled in a car accident. The insurance company reduced the settlement by $527 because they said it had a branded title. I showed them that the title was clean but they had an Experian report that showed it was a Georgia flood car.

Several people have told me that the dealership should have known it was a salvaged car and told me.

My feeling is that the car would not have been worth $4,500 had they revealed it's history. The way I read state law, I believe the dealer is guilty of a Class 3 or Class 4 felony. I don't care about that, I would just like to have a fair settlement.

The problem is, I can't determine what the car might have sold for if the dealer revealed the car's true history.

I found some history of law suits against State Farm in Ohio of selling branded titled cars and they paid $1300.

I was thinking of asking the dealer for $1,300 and if he didn't settle take him to small claims court. My wife thinks I should ask for more and just take him to court - not give him a chance to settle ahead of time.

Any thoughts?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">