• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breach of Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Joey1832

What is the name of your state? New York

I seperated from my wife in January.
We entered into a written seperation aggreement.
I was paying her monthly child support and spousal maintnance up until August when the custody of my children were parolled to me by family court.
We are currently in Supreme Court finalizing Divorce.
We are currently putting before the court all issues of custody and financial arguments.
My wife decides, in the middle of this, to file a claim in Small Claims Civil Court, for Moneys Owed ..Breach of Contract.

1) Can she sue me in small claims court for the same thing we a lidigating in Supreme Court?
2) If not, can you point me to a law that says that somewhere?

Joe

Joey1832

As per August I am current, the children have been in my custody since then...I have not paid her past August.

If we are agruing this before the supreme court does she have the right under law to file claim against me in small claims court?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Joey1832 said:
What is the name of your state? New York

I seperated from my wife in January.
We entered into a written seperation aggreement.
I was paying her monthly child support and spousal maintnance up until August when the custody of my children were parolled to me by family court.
We are currently in Supreme Court finalizing Divorce.
We are currently putting before the court all issues of custody and financial arguments.
My wife decides, in the middle of this, to file a claim in Small Claims Civil Court, for Moneys Owed ..Breach of Contract.

1) Can she sue me in small claims court for the same thing we a lidigating in Supreme Court?
2) If not, can you point me to a law that says that somewhere?

Joe

My response:

No. The Supreme Court, Family Law division, has jurisdiction over all matters concerning the marriage - - and that includes contracts between the two of you. The Small Claims judge already knows this and will dismiss her action on the ground of "lack of jurisdiction." Just mention in your responding papers, or when you're before the judge, that this issue is currently before another court. "Case dismissed".

IAAL

Joey1832

Thank You Very Much!...

Is there something that states that any where as a law or article to reference in my cross paperwork?

Joey1832

WOW...Thank You Very Much!...You have now idea how much you have helped me out. Have Great Holiday Season!

- Joe

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">