• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breach of Contract - Do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kr8ve1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I (Party A) had a brand new diamond Ring appraised at $4000. I sold the ring to a person (Party B) in exchange for personal training services. We have a signed and written agreement that states "If for any reason Party A or Party B cannot continue with the service a payment plan will be discussed and put into effect for the remainder of the balance for the ring"

The ring has been worn by the fiance of Party B for over 9 months.

I am unable to continue with the service and notified Party B in writing. Party B now wants to return the ring to me and does not want to pay the balance per our contract. I will not accept a used ring that has been worn, in addition it never stated in the contract that Party B could return the ring at any point.

I have a calender of all our remaining sessions which comes to 73 at $40 per hour totalling $2920 in which he owes me.

I have a calender that I kept track of our sessions, the original contract and email communications.

Do I have a case and how strong is it.

Thanks in advance!

Boshaft

Why won't you accept the ring? Is it damaged somehow?
Diamonds rings tend to depreciate EXTREMELY quickly - look up the Debeers cartel for more info on why.

OP: Small claims court should do the trick. How, though, did you come up with $40 an hour?

erikill

I would go get an appraisal for the ring. If it's worth more than the balance owed, call it even. If not ask for the ring + difference owed. I think that's the most fair way to do it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">