• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breach of Contract? Maybe more?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

andy021

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin
My fiance and I booked a venue for our wedding next September about 3 months ago. We signed a contract, gave them a deposit, and booked the ceremony location based on the venue. Today the venue called and said that they had double booked and we were out of luck.

My fiance is extremely upset as she has been making plans for several months. It was also very difficult to find a venue available that date. I am going to sue this place, the question is for what? Breach of contract doesn't cut it. This is really horrible and I want these people to pay.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin
My fiance and I booked a venue for our wedding next September about 3 months ago. We signed a contract, gave them a deposit, and booked the ceremony location based on the venue. Today the venue called and said that they had double booked and we were out of luck.

My fiance is extremely upset as she has been making plans for several months. It was also very difficult to find a venue available that date. I am going to sue this place, the question is for what? Breach of contract doesn't cut it. This is really horrible and I want these people to pay.
Just to clarify;

You booked for Sept of 2014 Correct?

latigo

Next September, 2015
Buy a dictionary. September 2015 is NOT "next September"! *

"Next/ adj. Nearest having nothing similar intervening;" (Webster's New International Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language p. 1648)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What does your contract say about this matter? Does it allow one party to back out with a certain amount of notice? Does it guarantee that the date is available? Etc.?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">