• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Break Up

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

worthless

What is the name of youAm I obligated to pay half of credit card bills that were generated from my girlfriend so she can keep her house? My name isn’t on the house, my name isn’t on the checking account, and my work check goes directly into her checking account for the past 9 years. I have no saving or furniture. I have a beat up truck. I don’t even have a roof over my head. Her house is worth at least 500k. She has a decent car. I believe that I have gave her all that I have, my paycheck , bonuses, I have gotten , tax returns for the past 9 years, I will leave with nothing except me and my kid. So am I obligated?r state (only U.S. law)? MASS.

sandyclaus

What is the name of youAm I obligated to pay half of credit card bills that were generated from my girlfriend so she can keep her house? My name isn’t on the house, my name isn’t on the checking account, and my work check goes directly into her checking account for the past 9 years. I have no saving or furniture. I have a beat up truck. I don’t even have a roof over my head. Her house is worth at least 500k. She has a decent car. I believe that I have gave her all that I have, my paycheck , bonuses, I have gotten , tax returns for the past 9 years, I will leave with nothing except me and my kid. So am I obligated?r state (only U.S. law)? MASS.
It doesn't matter what she has, it matters whether or not you had an agreement to pay half of the credit card bills. So, did you have any agreement with the girlfriend to pay half of the credit card bills?

latigo

. . . . Am I obligated to pay half of credit card bills that were generated from my girlfriend so she can keep her house? My name isn’t on the house, my name isn’t on the checking account, and my work check goes directly into her checking account for the past 9 years. I have no saving or furniture. I have a beat up truck. I don’t even have a roof over my head. Her house is worth at least 500k. She has a decent car. I believe that I have gave her all that I have, my paycheck , bonuses, I have gotten , tax returns for the past 9 years, I will leave with nothing except me and my kid. So am I obligated?r state (only U.S. law)? MASS.
You post is not clear as to how one is to interpret the statement: “credit card bills that were generated from my girlfriend”.

What credit card account or accounts are involved? Accounts in her name only? In your name only? Accounts in both names?

Who benefited by the charges made to the account(s)?

Did you personally use any of such card or cards as payment of goods or services? And if so, can she document which?

Did you benefit in whole or in part by any charges made against any of said accounts? And can she document specific charges from which you did benefit?

I assume that we're are talking about the current balances on a credit card account or accounts and accounts solely in her name and not reimbursing her for past credits/payments made to those accounts.

Given those assumption plus the fact that you have been living under the same roof (and obviously sharing household expenses) and the fact that she seems to be only asking that you pay one half of the current credit card balances STONGLY suggests that you may have equally benefited by the charges made to those accounts.

And/or that there was a prior mutual understanding, even though unwritten, that you would be equally responsible for those charges.

Why all the questions?

Because if she attempts to hold you legally responsible for any of the current balances of credit card accounts under her sole name, you may or not be able to raise the defense of the Massachusetts’ statute of frauds.

“No action shall be brought:
Second, To charge a person upon a special promise to answer for the debt, default or misdoings of another;
Unless the promise, contract or agreement upon which such action is brought, or some memorandum or note thereof, is in writing and signed by the party to be charged therewith or by some person thereunto by him lawfully authorized.” Massachusetts General Laws Part III, Title V, Statue of Frauds, etc. Chapter 259 Prevention of Frauds, Section 1 Actionable contracts; necessity of writing
Without much more information I don't see that your question is presently answerable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">