• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

break up & moving

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Green eyes

What is the name of your state? California

Girlfriend & I moved our stuff from CA to IL & split the costs. Broke up after stuff delivered to IL, but before girlfriend was supposed to move in a few months later. I stored her stuff for free, was I also responsible for the cost of her moving the stuff back to CA from IL? I never said I would pay for that and she was not on the lease.

Thanks,

seniorjudge

Q: I stored her stuff for free, was I also responsible for the cost of her moving the stuff back to CA from IL?

A: No.

JETX

Send her a very nice letter (certified RRR) giving an inventory of her property and ask her to contact you within 14 days of receipt to make arrangements to recover HER property.
Include that if she doesn't recover her property within 14 days, it will incur storage fees of $______ per day for another 30 days. At the end of that time, her property will be considered abandoned and sold at auction or otherwise disposed. Any proceeds of the auction, less costs and storage, should be sent to her.
Oh, and take REALLY good video of ALL her property and its condition.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">