• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breaking Up- Who Gets What

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

unsure101

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? va

I will try to be as brief as possible. I have followed my fiance for the past four years-including overseas. Over there I was at times unable to work because of regulations, however he was in the army and supported us. He has recently told me he wants to cancel our engagement and for us to part ways. We have accumulated a lot of possessions during our time together, yet for the most part it was his money that bought everything. Am I able to pursue for anything? I don't want much- just some furniture and mementos.
I also have emails from him stating that he would always support me if things did not work out until i got on my own two feet. Are emails any amount of proof- are they ever used in court? What if neither of us have receipts for certain possessions...how do they determine who gets what?

S

seniorjudge

These are what I call "common law divorces." Anyway, the answer is sue him in small claims court and let the judge split everything if y'all can't work it out.

Q: Am I able to pursue for anything?
A: Yes, in court.

Q: Are emails any amount of proof- are they ever used in court?
A: Emails are exceptionally easy to forge and are generally worthless in court.

Q: What if neither of us have receipts for certain possessions...how do they determine who gets what?
A: Tell the judge in small claims court y'all can't decide and that he gets to split everything up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">