• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

breech of verbal contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

flyinwood

I am in the state of Idaho, the other party lives in Washington. I helped a party purchase a car about 18 months ago, the total sum has not been paid back in full. $800.00 is still outstanding. The other party also use to live with me, we agreed that she would pay about $100.00 a month in utilities. The last 5 months she did not pay anything prior to her moving out. Do I have any case at all in small claims court to sue her for a total sum of $1300.00. What would I have to prove and what documents would I have to furnish to prove my case if any?

JETX

1) Do you have any documentation to support your claim of loan for the car??
2) Do you have any documentation to support your claim of repayment of utilities?

If yes to both the above, you would only need to show the agreement and the bills showing outstanding balances.

If no to either of the above, you would need to have sufficient proof to show that a verbal agreement existed to support your claim. Otherwise it is just your word against hers... and you have the burden of proof.

Also, you need to consider venue. The proper venue is where the agreements were made (assumed to be Idaho). If you win your case in Idaho, are their any assets there to be 'recovered' if she doesn't pay?? If not, you would probably have a worthless 'IOU' Judgment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">