• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bridesmaid/bride question contract breach (LONG)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mealz

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Maryland

I was supposed to be a bridesmaid for a wedding in May 2005. The bride called me early in february and told me that she was talking me out of her wedding. She wanted to return 140 and a dress to me. (I paid $310 total for wedding expenses) I called her and explained that I did not want to adsorb any of the expenses for the dress.

I called the bridal shop and they explained to me that I could not return the dress for a full refund, but they would allow me to return the dress for a merchandise credit for the price of the dress. They told me that the credit could be used for dress alterations. Since she were having alterations done there for herself and the remaining bridesmaids, I asked her to consider returning the dress, which is still in herpossession, and just reimbursing me the $310.00 ($110 deposit for dress, $200 for balance of dress, shoes, and makeup) I paid for the wedding up to date.

We mutually agreed on in Feb, that she would return the dress against the prices of the alterations for yourself and your other bridesmaids and give me the money back that I paid to date for the wedding expenses. She agreed and told me that we could discuss it in March, which is when she would be taking care of alterations. I emailed her on March 8, 2005 to verify what would be done about the dress and to inform her that you could mail me the balance of the money. She emailed me back that evening of March 8, 2005 and stated that she had just happened to pay for your alterations that very day, March 8, 2005 and that the dress was available for me to pickup.

I believe that the nature of the bridesmaid/bride relationship is that of an enforceable implied contract. I believe, that If I had chosen to break the contract, I would have had to absorb the costs that I had paid thus far. Since she broke the contract by terminating our bridesmaid/bride relationship, shouldn't she reimburse me for all expenses associated with her event?

I tried to come up with a solution that would be a win-win for each party without requiring any party in this implied contract to lose any monies. We had a verbal contract where we would work out the price of the dress against the alterations. Now that she has informed me in writing that she paid for the alterations without using the credit for the dress, it infers that she had no intention of making this an amicable situation that will mutually benefit both parties.

How do I demand without going to court. If I go to court could I win this? I Appreciate your help

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">