• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Broke up with BF. How to get belongings back?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AkersTile

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO

I am asking this for my MIL (and doing all the legwork, filling out forms, etc.). She is an OTR truck driver and is unable to get to a computer at the moment, but needs this figured out ASAP. MIL broke up with her BF. They had a storage unit together with both of their names on the lease. She has been the only one paying on it (cleared checks as proof, he never had any money put into account, account solely in her name). He went in and took her off the lease and changed the passcode so she now has no access to her belongings. He is currently on her insurance (she will be removing him), has one of her phones (she will be cancelling that line), and she put 4 brand new tires on his truck (witnesses to the agreement that he would reimburse her the cost). He is not answering her calls or texts and she now has no way to get ahold of him.

I'm not sure if this needs to go through small claims court, or what exactly needs to be done for her to have access to her storage unit. I already have the forms for small claims court downloaded and will download others if needed. Please advise. Thanks in advance :)

AkersTile

Has she tried explaining this to the people at the storage unit?
Yes. The woman she spoke with at the storage unit was very nice about it. She gave MIL the name, address, unit #, and lease #, so that she would have it for the court forms. She was the one who advised MIL to go through the court system, she just wasn't sure what exactly she would need to do. Because MIL's name was removed from the lease, they can't allow her in the unit.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes. The woman she spoke with at the storage unit was very nice about it. She gave MIL the name, address, unit #, and lease #, so that she would have it for the court forms. She was the one who advised MIL to go through the court system, she just wasn't sure what exactly she would need to do. Because MIL's name was removed from the lease, they can't allow her in the unit.
If SHE didn't approve the change to the lease, then the change was not valid. SHE needs to march in there and DEMAND to be let in to the unit that SHE leased with the BF. She will need to speak with someone high up the chain at the storage unit.

AkersTile

If SHE didn't approve the change to the lease, then the change was not valid. SHE needs to march in there and DEMAND to be let in to the unit that SHE leased with the BF. She will need to speak with someone high up the chain at the storage unit.
I will let her know that then. Thanks Zigner :) Hopefully she can get back there within the next couple days.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I will let her know that then. Thanks Zigner :) Hopefully she can get back there within the next couple days.
I hope so too - it's ridiculous that the lease would be changed in that manner. Best of luck to her.

swalsh411

You can't just change a lease like that. Somebody at the storage company messed up. She should call and tell them in advance she is coming over and expects access to her property. If they don't let her in her unit (be polite yet firm), call the police. (not 911, get their non-emergency number first). Don't yell and scream. Don't cause a scene. Don't frighten other customers. Don't give the police any reason to think there is a crazy woman who needs tazered.

AkersTile

You can't just change a lease like that. Somebody at the storage company messed up. She should call and tell them in advance she is coming over and expects access to her property. If they don't let her in her unit (be polite yet firm), call the police. (not 911, get their non-emergency number first). Don't yell and scream. Don't cause a scene. Don't frighten other customers. Don't give the police any reason to think there is a crazy woman who needs tazered.
That is what she will be doing as soon as she is back in KC. She plans on calling them the day before and informing them that she will be in town and will expect access to her personal property. I already gave her the number for the local police department there as well as the county sheriff department there. Aside from pulling up in her semi, I don't think she will be too scary ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">