• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Broken Laptop...I wasn't home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sandy53

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA, Hi , My daughter was living at her boyfriends house. She went to work not thinking anyone would be at the house so she left her lap top on the kitchen table. Boyfriends mother ( who is divorced from the father) came to the house with two grandsons. The mother started playing games on the lap top ( did not ask) and the grand son spilled milk on the keyboard. So the boyfriend ( before daughter came home from work) took the thing apart. Now she is without a lap top and the boyfriend is calling HER stingy because she is upset that the laptop is broken ! Needless to say my daughter has moved home and she cannot afford to pay to get the lap top fixed...Can she send a letter to the mother requesting some kind of monetary help since she did not have permission to use the lap top ?

Thanks for any help.
Sandy

OHRoadwarrior

She can request whatever she wants. Collecting will be something else. What was the used laptop, in its depreciated state worth? What was a reasonable charge for her living at boyfriends? Sex does not equate into rental payments.

bokaba

I suppose you could attempt to sue them for conversion but you will need to be able to prove they damaged your laptop (not sure what the standard of proof in PA is--but less than reasonable doubt). Your daughter may also be found comparatively negligent for leaving a valuable item for an extended period of time in a common area of a house that doesn't belong to her, which would reduce her award.

Antigone*

I suppose you could attempt to sue them for conversion but you will need to be able to prove they damaged your laptop (not sure what the standard of proof in PA is--but less than reasonable doubt). Your daughter may also be found comparatively negligent for leaving a valuable item for an extended period of time in a common area of a house that doesn't belong to her, which would reduce her award.
Conversion???:rolleyes: Yea sure:rolleyes:

Proseguru

Your daughter is a grown woman ... have her deal with her own problems .... have her post. Mommy does not know all the facts I'm sure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">