• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Broken lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

florcano

Texas. On november of 2008 , two friends wanted to get an apartment, but they couldnt. They needed a cosigner. I agreed to be a cosigner and when i went to the apartment complex to sign the papers, i was told i couldnt be a cosigner, that i had to be a guarantor, because i made more money than they did. So my name was also put on the lease along with theirs, but i wasnt staying in the apartment. They moved in and one of them decided to go on vacation to Mexico and the friend that had stayed behind gave me a call telling me that the friend that went on vacation wasnt planning to come back. And the lease was broken, there was nothing i could do about it. Come to find out the friend that went on vacation comes back. So i went to the apartment complex to set up a payment plan so both of them would pay what was owed, which was about $4,000. I told them i would collect the money from them and go pay it for them at the apartment complex, so i was sure the money did get paid. The first payment was to be due on Feb 10 2009, but when it came time to pay they refused. What can i do? Do i file a small claims? Do i have to have them sign paperwork stating that they are the only ones at fault and not me?

Antigone*

Texas. On november of 2008 , two friends wanted to get an apartment, but they couldnt. They needed a cosigner. I agreed to be a cosigner and when i went to the apartment complex to sign the papers, i was told i couldnt be a cosigner, that i had to be a guarantor, because i made more money than they did. So my name was also put on the lease along with theirs, but i wasnt staying in the apartment. They moved in and one of them decided to go on vacation to Mexico and the friend that had stayed behind gave me a call telling me that the friend that went on vacation wasnt planning to come back. And the lease was broken, there was nothing i could do about it. Come to find out the friend that went on vacation comes back. So i went to the apartment complex to set up a payment plan so both of them would pay what was owed, which was about $4,000. I told them i would collect the money from them and go pay it for them at the apartment complex, so i was sure the money did get paid. The first payment was to be due on Feb 10 2009, but when it came time to pay they refused. What can i do? Do i file a small claims? Do i have to have them sign paperwork stating that they are the only ones at fault and not me?
Looks like you might be on the hook for much more than $4000.00. You can't sue until you have actually suffered damages. And if your friends are not paying rent, then until an eviction is complete, you won't know the total amount of any judgement against you.

You got suckered into this deal and now it is really going to be hard getting out of it.

Your credit should be treated like one of your most treasured possessions. It should never be shared and should never be used to benefit anyone other than yourself.

Sorry, ana

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">