• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

broken property? what should i do, do i have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abaver

What is the name of your state? indiana

Last night I was at a friend’s house and his uncle or something owned a slot machine, it said 25 cents on the slot. i put in a penny and it worked so i decided to keep playing with pennies, After a while the thing jammed. I got a call today saying that the thing was broken and that the owner wants me to pay for a new machine that cost 3000$. I don’t have that type of money and the man said that it is not fixable. I haven’t talked to him in person yet but i was wondering what I should do. As of right now i am planning on trying to find a way for it to get fixed because I think its just jammed but the guy said it was something else that was wrong with it. Finally what kind of case do i have and does he have if in fact he does take me to court? :confused:

Happy Trails

abaver said:
What is the name of your state? indiana

Last night I was at a friend’s house and his uncle or something owned a slot machine, it said 25 cents on the slot. i put in a penny and it worked so i decided to keep playing with pennies, After a while the thing jammed. I got a call today saying that the thing was broken and that the owner wants me to pay for a new machine that cost 3000$. I don’t have that type of money and the man said that it is not fixable. I haven’t talked to him in person yet but i was wondering what I should do. As of right now i am planning on trying to find a way for it to get fixed because I think its just jammed but the guy said it was something else that was wrong with it. Finally what kind of case do i have and does he have if in fact he does take me to court? :confused:
Well if he does take you to small claims court, he will have the burden of proving that you did the damage to the machine. He will also have to prove that the damage you did cannot be fixed.

I would try to work it out with him and have him provide you with proof that it cannot be fixed. I don't understand why he just can't get a part to fix it; instead of getting a new machine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">