• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Broken TV

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

esteve59

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MAryland

I am a TV repairman and I broke a screen on a customers 55" Plasma TV.I offered to replace the set with a used set that had the same or better features.
He says his lawyers told him that the set needs to be brand new in the box with a receipt from a store.
Is this true ?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MAryland

I am a TV repairman and I broke a screen on a customers 55" Plasma TV.I offered to replace the set with a used set that had the same or better features.
He says his lawyers told him that the set needs to be brand new in the box with a receipt from a store.
Is this true ?
No, that's not true. They aren't entitled to a NEW TV, simply one of comparable value (or you could offer to pay for the value of a used 55" plasma)

esteve59

No, that's not true. They aren't entitled to a NEW TV, simply one of comparable value (or you could offer to pay for the value of a used 55" plasma)
So, the TV I picked up WAS broken,
My thoughts are they should still pay for the original repair first...otherwise I am paying for a working TV that WAS delivered to me broken....
is that fair....?

Thanks

LdiJ

So, the TV I picked up WAS broken,
My thoughts are they should still pay for the original repair first...otherwise I am paying for a working TV that WAS delivered to me broken....
is that fair....?

Thanks
While I agree in theory with that, its probably not very good customer service to charge them for the repair. It may not do much for you on a word of mouth basis. After all, they already think that you should provide them a new TV, so they are not going to be your biggest fans if they end up with a used one anyway. Their reaction to paying you anything at this point is probably going to be a bad one.

Now, if your business is so solid that you don't care about poor word of mouth advertising, then by all means insist on charging them for the repair, but make darned sure that the television you give them is comparable or superior to the one you broke.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">