• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

broken windshield

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drl

hello i am in eugene oregon and live with my boyfriend joseph. our neighbors (LaShay ? and Jamall Kingham) had gotten there car impounded a few months ago, so they had been asking us for rides to the store.

on april 15th 2010 jamall asked for a ride from joe and was upset at his girlfriend. after they got back jamall ran into his house and joe tells me that jamall punched his windshield from the inside. it broke the whole passenger side.he apologized and offered us 50$, when we told him that it would be much more LaShay said that she would pay for it. we did not see them outside very often after that and they would not answer the door.

on april 26th we knocked on their door and gave them both the cheapest quote we could find at 180$. they said that would be fine but that they're broke. We let some time pass for them to come up with it.

May 9th we made a police report. Officer HALL said it was not an arresting offense and she'd see what she can do. she also wanted his last name which they had already refused to give us.

May 12th LaShay and Jamall were more willing to talk to us. LaShay had hand written out for us to type a contract. on it she wrote Jamall KINGDOM.in it stating "All charges will be dropped by joseph peterson according to court procedure when the windshield is replaced." Right after they sign it, we find out that Jamall's last name is KINGHAM we ask them to sign a new contract and they insist that it will be fine and legal.

Joe had left messages for the officer telling her his last name and trying to explain about the contract.

Monday May 17th officer HALL calls me at home and tells me that since we have a contract that it is no longer a police matter. she suspended our case. she would not listen to me when I told her that the contract doesn't mean anything since the last names wrong and I'm sure they wont pay because they wont sign another one. Even if it would hold up in small claims court we didn't agree to drop charges unless it was replaced. Officer Hall told me to hire an attorney. We our low income and don't have any money at all. I would really appreciate any advice I can get. can the police really do that?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

BL

hello i am in eugene oregon and live with my boyfriend joseph. our neighbors (LaShay ? and Jamall Kingham) had gotten there car impounded a few months ago, so they had been asking us for rides to the store.

on april 15th 2010 jamall asked for a ride from joe and was upset at his girlfriend. after they got back jamall ran into his house and joe tells me that jamall punched his windshield from the inside. it broke the whole passenger side.he apologized and offered us 50$, when we told him that it would be much more LaShay said that she would pay for it. we did not see them outside very often after that and they would not answer the door.

on april 26th we knocked on their door and gave them both the cheapest quote we could find at 180$. they said that would be fine but that they're broke. We let some time pass for them to come up with it.

May 9th we made a police report. Officer HALL said it was not an arresting offense and she'd see what she can do. she also wanted his last name which they had already refused to give us.

May 12th LaShay and Jamall were more willing to talk to us. LaShay had hand written out for us to type a contract. on it she wrote Jamall KINGDOM.in it stating "All charges will be dropped by joseph peterson according to court procedure when the windshield is replaced." Right after they sign it, we find out that Jamall's last name is KINGHAM we ask them to sign a new contract and they insist that it will be fine and legal.

Joe had left messages for the officer telling her his last name and trying to explain about the contract.

Monday May 17th officer HALL calls me at home and tells me that since we have a contract that it is no longer a police matter. she suspended our case. she would not listen to me when I told her that the contract doesn't mean anything since the last names wrong and I'm sure they wont pay because they wont sign another one. Even if it would hold up in small claims court we didn't agree to drop charges unless it was replaced. Officer Hall told me to hire an attorney. We our low income and don't have any money at all. I would really appreciate any advice I can get. can the police really do that?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
This is a civil matter ,sue in small claims .

Antigone*

Yes the police can do that. Sue them in small claims court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">