• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Brother wont pay me.. Do i have enough evidence to take him to small claims court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joseb

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Last April I let my brother borrow $500. He paid me half last year and our verbal agreement was that when he got his income taxes he would pay the rest. Income tax season came and nothing. He has been avoiding us. Finally my husband talked to him and he agreed to pay us by April 30th but with the exception that my dad would go pick up the money. When my dad went to collect the money my brother said that he wasn't going to pay us because we gave him that money. So now my brother conveniently decided that the money was a gift! WE tired to go talk to him again but he doesn't answer the door!

I only have one text message saying that they would pay us tax season time. I have multiple messages that we sent them regarding them paying us but they never responded. I have two witness.. the first witness was there when he paid us the first half, this person will not go to court with me but is willing to write a letter. The second witness is my sister.

Do I have enough evidence? Is a letter acceptable? Should I send him a certified letter stating that if he does not pay us in 30 days we will sue him?

My dad doesnt want to go to court with me but he offered to write a letter, I know his letter would help but can I do without it?

Last edited:

justalayman

no idea what state this involves since you deleted the question asking for that one very important piece of information.

It looked just like this:

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

and was in the upper left hand corner of the box you typed your post in.

so joseb, I have no idea how to help you because we have 50 states, each with their own rules but even more so, I have no idea if you are even in the US and I have no knowledge of any country's laws other than the US.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">