• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bull/Car Accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? South Dakota

The morning of 9/20/07, I received a phone call that someone had hit one of our bulls on the highway (we live on the highway with pastures on both sides). I went out to find the bull alive, but the car totalled. The lady that hit it had already taken care to call 911 before I got out there. A neighbor helped me get the bull in to the yard where he died a couple of hours later.

The lady's auto insurance company called me the next week to get a recorded statement as to what happened. The following Monday, our liability carrier (who is the same as her auto insurance) called to get more of a recorded statement. The adjuster asked that I send pictures of our fences showing what condition they are in. I did so that day.

Today we get a letter in the mail that was sent to the lady that hit the bull stating that the insurance company did not see any negligence on our part so they were not going to be able to pay her auto claim. The insurance company also checked with the sheriff's office and found that we have no complaints of having cattle out.

I know that the lady can go to the Division of Insurance to try to get "justice", but can she also try to sue us in small claims for either the cost of the car, the cost of the deductible (apparently they have full coverage) or the state maximum? (yes, I know that anyone can sue anyone for anything) Does what the insurance company say have anything to do with small claims - meaning that they found our fences in excellent repair & no complaints of cattle out?

Thanks!

How did the bull get out if the fense was in good order? I guess it will be handled as if she hit a deer.

Last edited:
How did the bull get out if the fense was in good order? I guess it will be handled as if she hit a deer.

Sorry...forgot that part. It was determined that the bull jumped the five wire fence. There was no part of the fence that was done and the electric fencer was working.

I don't get this.

It was your bull. Wandering the highway. Is it an open range area?
It wasn't purposely wandering the highway. It was in pasture on the north side of the road, jumped the fence & was going to the pasture on the south side of the road. No, he was not supposed to be out. Had I known that he was out, I would have taken measures to get him back in to a pasture.

Open range was actually repealed in 1972...from what I have been told.

xylene

Who is going to pay for your bull?

If you are not at fault, then the driver is.

A bull is an expensive piece of livestock.

Who is going to pay for the bull?

The driver. (or their insurance)

Don't be concerned with the driver getting paid.

However - I am not convinced that the escaped bull (and the consequences of it) are anyone's responsibility but yours.

If you are sued, your insurance company will provide defense, and coverage. (within the terms of your policy)

moburkes

The owner of the bull is responsible. This wasn't a deer that just happened to be crossing the road at the wrong time. The bull was supposed to be locked in. Maybe the fences need to be higher.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">