• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Burned

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ann4tazz

What is the name of your state? Colorado
I have been involed with an inmate for the last 7 years. We were planning to be married. I have been sending money and paying large phone bills in the expectation that when he got out he would help me. I do have in writing, promises to that end. I received a letter from him dated August 25th, talking about how he couldn't wait to get home. On Sept. 2, he was released a couple of weaks early unbeknownst to me. He failed to contact me. When I finally tracked him down, I found out he was with a guard he had been with for at least 2 years and probably more. When i went to see him, to talk to him and find out what the hey, he refused to see me or speak to me. I went to see him see him and she called the cops. I spoke with the cops who said I could be arrested for harassment if I tried to see him again. I realize the stupidity of my believing his lies, but even so would like to recoup some of the money I sent. He screwed me over royally and I don't want to let him do that completely while I slink off quietly into the night. Would I have any grounds to take him to small claims court? Unjust enrichment, false pretense, deceit, misrepresentation or even fraud? Any advice for me would be greatly appreciated. Embarrassed by my stupidity, ann4tazz

BelizeBreeze

What is the name of your state? Colorado
I have been involed with an inmate for the last 7 years. We were planning to be married. I have been sending money and paying large phone bills in the expectation that when he got out he would help me. I do have in writing, promises to that end. I received a letter from him dated August 25th, talking about how he couldn't wait to get home. On Sept. 2, he was released a couple of weaks early unbeknownst to me. He failed to contact me. When I finally tracked him down, I found out he was with a guard he had been with for at least 2 years and probably more. When i went to see him, to talk to him and find out what the hey, he refused to see me or speak to me. I went to see him see him and she called the cops. I spoke with the cops who said I could be arrested for harassment if I tried to see him again. I realize the stupidity of my believing his lies, but even so would like to recoup some of the money I sent. He screwed me over royally and I don't want to let him do that completely while I slink off quietly into the night. Would I have any grounds to take him to small claims court? Unjust enrichment, false pretense, deceit, misrepresentation or even fraud? Any advice for me would be greatly appreciated. Embarrassed by my stupidity, ann4tazz
Advice? Yes.
The best way to stop being embarrassed by your stupidity is to stop being stupid.

Otherwise, you have no case based on the facts presented.

JETX

Would I have any grounds to take him to small claims court?
Slim... but possible.
You might be able to convince a court that some of the gifts were made in anticipation of marriage, or based on a 'contract' of some type (depending on the full circumstances). If you can prove that to the court, you might get a judgment.
However, it is pretty likely that your judgment would be worthless as a recent prison release likely does not have any non-exempt assets to go after.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">