• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Business owner (bailee) won't relinquish my valuable stuff

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bombay67

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas- Can I sue to get my stuff back and seek monetary damages. For a fledgling business, I brought lots of my own items (over $4000) that was used at a recording studio where I was the primary engineer. House built from scratch as a dedicated studio. Basically, it was a 1-person business, LLC, and the owner is an in-law (wife's cousin). In March '08, he decided after a year of operation that he would close the business due to lack of profits, we agreed to temporary allow my essential equipment (speakers, keyboard, misc studio stuff) to stay since he wanted the option to sell the place as a studio, or up until I requested my stuff. Surprisingly, he locked me out (changed locks) of the place with no notice in June, but finally responded at the end of July by email to my many attempts to reach him and arrange for me to get my stuff. This, however, stretched out to the present day; on 9/23, he sent me an email saying that recently, it has come to his attention that while I had the keys, I was somehow not responsible which resulted in his wedding items being stolen from the studio. He never once asked if I knew about where the items might be and his communication was via text, not in person or phone call, so I doubt if he even filed a police report. This allegation came out of nowhere and has no merit, and he's using it to retain my items. I believe he's using this allegation as a ploy to delay the return of my stuff, posslbly for his business needs (studio website still up), and by me not having it returned after asking for months, I'm unable to use it for my personal and business endeavors. Who the hell would break into a secured studio just to steal a few boxes of glasses and silverware, and leave all the thousands of dollars of hi tech equipment untouched? I recall, in 2006 -2007, he accused his mom's caretakers of stealing silverware and fired some of the staff where he lives. He married more than a year ago and whatever gifts he had originally was kept at his home before later moving it to the heavily secured studio. He doesn't seem to know when or where these alleged "gifts" were stolen from. And I can't vouch for what went on at the studio since I was last there in June. I just want my stuff back and monetary damages since he thinks he can just get away with this scott free. Though it may divide family opinions, I want to do it the legal way since he's not the most rational person, very paranoid, arrested for domestic abuse, and owns a gun (licensed).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">