• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Business scam

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lily1234

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

This is kind of long, but I really do need some help so bear with me.

I buy/resell items online. This summer I met a man who offered the stock I was looking for at a great price. I live in VA, he claimed to live in Maryland and Pennsylvania. I placed two large orders with him ($500 and $1000) and we met up both times in Maryland to complete the transaction. The products he supplied were great and he spoke about his business and family often, so I started to feel comfortable doing business with him.

Fast forward to a month later. I placed a really large order with him (over $2,000) and he said he would ship it to me because it's hard for him to drive from Pennsylvania to Maryland every weekend. I normally do everything through PayPal because of the protection they offer, but he said his account was limited and he wanted me to send the money to him another way. It made sense to me so I asked what he had in mind, and he said a Wal-Mart money transfer because the fees weren't high. I sent him $1,400 in two separate transactions through the money wire. I also sent him $600 via PayPal after he said his account was working or whatever.

He provided me with the tracking number and the package arrived. The box held a pink shirt, two makeup compacts, and a plastic bag- not the $2,000+ order I paid for. I tried calling him and texting him at the two phone numbers he gave me and I even tried emailing him. I went to the police and they said that the case wouldn't be classified as a criminal case because he covered his a** with the bogus package he sent me. The cop said he didn't have to send me the correct order, he just had to send me something. I was advised to go to a small claims court and I've been doing some research on it for the past few months. I got the $600 back via PayPal, but it's the $1,400 I'm after.

Since then, I've confirmed his true identity (he used a fake name/address to conduct the scam). I know that he frequently travels to California and Mexico. He lives in California but has family in Pennsylvania so he travels there every so often. I found this information through Facebook but I'm at a dead end because I can't confirm an address for him. I also can't use the phone numbers to track him because they've been disconnected.

I would like to know what options I have- besides a private investigator because that's too expensive right now.

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

FlyingRon

You're pretty much screwed. Walmart/Moneygram specifically warns you NOT to send money to strangers. Moneygram is for sending money to your brother 'cause his car needs repairs not to make dubious business transactions. If you can get the help of Walmart and it was picked up there, there's probably video. The problem is that if it was moneygram'd he could have picked it up anywhere. Moneygram won't arbitrate your dispute. You can try to recoup what you can via paypal.

Lily1234

Well my suspicions have been confirmed. Did a little more snooping around and just as I suspected, this guy is a true con artist. I found one guy who posted up a warning about the con artist because he was scammed as well. The guy who posted the warning says he had other people come to him about being scammed by the same con artist.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">