• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA Personal loan. How do I get it back? Statute of limitations?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BravestDog

What is the name of your state? California

I loaned approx $3,500 to a person and used my personal checks as payment. This was in 1998-99.

Is there a statute of limitations where if too much time goes by I will loose if I try to take the person to court?

How can I get the money back?

I have asked the person for a receipt and they refuse to put anything in writing.

Can you offer me any helpful advice?

Thanks

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

BravestDog said:
What is the name of your state? California

I loaned approx $3,500 to a person and used my personal checks as payment. This was in 1998-99.

Is there a statute of limitations where if too much time goes by I will loose if I try to take the person to court?

How can I get the money back?

I have asked the person for a receipt and they refuse to put anything in writing.

Can you offer me any helpful advice?

Thanks

My response:

If you have allowed 4 or more years to go by since the date of your checks, or the date of his last payment, then it's all over. You have undoubtedly allowed the applicable Statute of Limitations to expire.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">