• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Calculating Interest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

regsmom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

I was awarded a judgment in Small Claims Court in Tulsa Oklahoma. The judgment is to "draw interest at the statutory rate".

I called the courthouse and was told the rate was 10.25%.
They couldn't, however, tell me if I am to compound this interest monthly or yearly.

Any advice?

dcatz

It’s simple interest, not compound interest, and 10.25% is the annual rate.

$X times 10.25% = annual rate.
$X times 10.25% divided by 365 = daily rate.

Here’s a “duration” calculator:
http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html

Include the “end date” – i.e. add 1 day – because your award earns interest “from, on and after judgment”; you’re not calculating the duration between two dates.

regsmom

Another question

Sorry, but I am still confused.

My judgment was for $6,0000 and the payment schedule is supposed to be $150/month.

There is no duration - the paying party is going to continue to make payments until the judgment is paid in full. I say there is no duration because the paying party is NOT consistent in making payments - in fact, the paying party is currently 9 months behind in payments.

Do I calculate 10.25% of $6,000 each year until the judgement is paid?
OR
If the paying party actually makes payments, does that change the amount that collects interest?

dcatz

Absent a statutory provision to the contrary, it’s interest on the judgment until it’s paid.

Assuming timely payments, it would take 40 months to pay the judgment ($6,000 divided by $150)

40 months = $2,050 in interest ($6,000 times 10.25% divided by 12 = $51.25/mo times 40 = $2,050).

The important question is “why is there a 9-month default, when enforcement should have started 8 months ago?”

regsmom

The paying party went under the radar. I tried, but I couldn't find him. The rules of court allowed for me to have an asset hearing, but in order to do that, I had to serve the paying party - I actually live in Kansas, so finding him in another state isn't easy. I couldn't find him to serve him NOR could I afford an attorney to help me with the process, so I haven't been able to do anything.
Out of the blue, the paying party made contact through a 3rd party and wants to start settling up on this judgement. I just want to know how to calculate the interest so I can let him know how much he owes as he has asked.

If I understand correctly, I calculate interest on a yearly bases but do NOT compound it....right?

dcatz

Correct. The calculator was to assist you in calculating accrued interest at any given point in time – eg. 490 days from the date judgment was entered. That information would commonly be required to seek a writ or garnishment order for all monies due and owing.

May I also suggest that commercial online public record databases, of which there are many, can be a useful and cost-efficient means to locate the judgment debtor, if he tries to remain under the radar and you have little experience in skip-tracing. By the same token, use the fact that he has come to the surface now to gather as much personal data as you can. If he has re-located to another state, you may ultimately be faced with the need to domesticate the judgment in that state and enforce it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">