• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

calif/collecting small claims judgment from chapter 7 filer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cdzhaha

in 1995 i won a judgment in LA county municipal court, small claims, against a businessman who filed chapter 7 immediately after the judgment and after i had filed the writ of execution. i got no advice on how to handle this but read something that suggested court judgments could not be discharged. showed up at bankruptcy hearing and just sat there and watched, unsure of how to protect my own interests. is there any way i can collect, or is that judgment just gone, gone, gone? is there somewhere i can look to find status of my case? i didn't go beyond the writ in beginning to collect judgment.i'm a smart person and not knowing if i could have done something is just killing me. help.

[Edited by cdzhaha on 02-06-2001 at 04:57 AM]

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

The whole idea behind the Chapter 7 Bankruptcy laws are to allow a debtor to "wipe the slate clean" and to start over again.

Undoubtedly, since you went to the "Creditor's Meeting", the judgment was thereafter discharged along with all of the debtor's other dischargeable debts.

It's over.

IAAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">