• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In California, can I sue this HVAC contractor for what they've done to me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joseluisglez

I engaged with an HVAC contractor. I paid in advance, under the presumption that the service would be performed two days later (the agreement to install two days later was verbal, but I have a receipt for my purchase of the installation). They were supposed to install at 8:00am, but then called the day before at 5:00pm to cancel. I was pissed, but we rescheduled for next week.

Next week comes and they’re supposed to come in at 8:00am, but they call at 8:30am and cancel. Now I'm really pissed, but they say they'll come in two days from now, guaranteed, and completely install (these conversations took place over the phone).

It’s now that day (two weeks after I already paid them) and they call saying they'll send a guy to look, but won’t be able to completely install until tomorrow. The guy they were supposed to send hasn't arrived and even if he does arrive I have no guarantee he won't cancel tomorrow and keep canceling. I tried to get my money back, but they said they would charge me for parts they already made related to my installation.

I live in up to 115F degree weather and a service I paid for over two weeks ago hasn’t been started. Do I have any rights or can they just keep playing with me? Thank you.

FlyingRon

What you "presume" doesn't mean much. It's what there is a contractual obligation to perform that matters. Frankly, I doubt you have such. The beginning of the hot weather season is usually a pretty busy time for AC installations and repairs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">