• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are California Small Claims made public?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

You can request the case be filed under seal .. if rejected, they will give you your paperwork back. See the court rules for process. Needs to be good cause though.

calemployer

Wasn't good cause... it was an idiot staff member that pretended to do work for the last two months; so I pretended to have problems paying him for two months.

CourtClerk

Ignore George. He doesn't know what he's talking about. You can't request to have small claim's cases sealed...

and he can't name ONE instance (complete with county and case number so I can check) in which it's been done.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Wasn't good cause... it was an idiot staff member that pretended to do work for the last two months; so I pretended to have problems paying him for two months.
So, basically, you're going to lose.

You CANNOT withhold pay for an employee who is on the clock who isn't working up to your expectations. Your recourse is to terminate.

CourtClerk

So, basically, you're going to lose.

You CANNOT withhold pay for an employee who is on the clock who isn't working up to your expectations. Your recourse is to terminate.
In fact, I don't know why the employee decided small claims court was the way to go. Should have gone to the DLSE

Zigner

that would be two MONTHS. I don't know how much the guy got paid but two months of my pay (and I don't really make that much) wouldn't fit in Cali small claims court.
EE could earn up to $22.30 per hour (assuming 40 hours per week, 4.2 weeks per month) and still be under the $7,500.00 SCC limit in CA ;)

(But yes, two months, not two weeks :eek: )

CourtClerk

EE could earn up to $22.30 per hour (assuming 40 hours per week, 4.2 weeks per month) and still be under the $7,500.00 SCC limit in CA ;)

(But yes, two months, not two weeks :eek: )
2 months of my pay wouldn't fit the small claims limit, either. We'll also have to assume that he's never sued anyone else in SC court for an amount that exceeded $2500. If he did that twice, then he would only be limited to $2500.

Zigner

2 months of my pay wouldn't fit the small claims limit, either. We'll also have to assume that he's never sued anyone else in SC court for an amount that exceeded $2500. If he did that twice, then he would only be limited to $2500.
2 months for me exceeds the limit also...

And thanks for the clarification on the $2,500 limit. I think it's safe to say that the "average" person doesn't end up in court often enough for this to apply ;)

ntrillo

Simple answers

To make it simple, the answer to your question is yes. In the state of California Small Claims are made public. I am a process server based out of San Diego and Southern California.

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">