• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can anyone advise me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ladybaloo

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I purchased a product from a merchant who said they would hold a check and then didn't. This caused my checking account to become overdrawn. Can I take him to small claims court to recover the fees associated?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I purchased a product from a merchant who said they would hold a check and then didn't. This caused my checking account to become overdrawn. Can I take him to small claims court to recover the fees associated?
Short answer...No.

racer72

You should have post dated the check.
The date on a check is irrelevent as far as the bank is concerned. It is no way restricts the check holder from cashing the check or the bank from accepting the check for payment. The only thing the date on a check does is prevent stale checks, those over 6 months old, from being accepted from the bank

Ladybaloo

So I get the part where the bank is not going to do anything but cash the check. But can't the merchant be liable for the damages this cost me? We had a verbal contract; I made a purchase (on credit if you will) with payment due on Nov 1. That is what I dated the check for; they are in breach ... aren’t they??

fairisfair

So I get the part where the bank is not going to do anything but cash the check. But can't the merchant be liable for the damages this cost me? We had a verbal contract; I made a purchase (on credit if you will) with payment due on Nov 1. That is what I dated the check for; they are in breach ... aren’t they??
No, your check is negotiable as soon as it is written. If you had an agreement, then you should not have written the check until that date.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">